999 of 1,021 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, poor computer software, very poor customer service, 18 July 2009
This review is from: TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition Satellite Navigation Unit Europe (Electronics)
After looking at a few comments on this product I find myself in agreement with many of the positive and even some of the negative.

To expound on this, I purchased the XL IQ routes ed (Europe)last Saturday for a trip around Spain next month, with the thought that I'd best get hold of one early enough to get used to the device as a) I had never owned a sat nav before (having been blessed with a pretty good personal GPS and the ability to read a map). and b) having been in cars with others who have used these devices I was concerned they may be more distracting than useful.

I picked this product based on reviews of others and a 5 minute demo from a friend, which to be honest made it look indespensable, even for the things that are often never mentioned about the device, such as the help section, which one would assume is a how to guide, but is infact a set up to get the nearest hosptial/ doctor whether driving or walking even including a first aid guide. Although I've not had to use these features, so cannot advise if any good, what a great feature!

My first trip was a known trip and on the whole it marked the way I would choose, but it still managed to save me 30 minutes off a regular journey time by throwing me down a couple of country lanes, so by now seriously impressed with the device.

So the next thing I do the same as everyone does is connect the device to their PC to make sure they have the latest maps, cameras et al.

As soon as you connect it, it installs the software already pre-loaded on the device (a really nice feature, no disc to lose woohoo!) as soon as it this application is installed (called tom tom HOME) it asks if you would like to update.

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

CLICK CANCEL, DO NOT UPDATE UNTIL YOU HAVE MANUALLY BACKED UP THE DEVICE.

that is the message you should be shown first, how aleading manufacturer of such a product can get you updating before you've backed up a working machine is unbelivable, but just a sign of today I feel, in that once they have your money they no longer care.

Of course, I was not aware and like most clicked the update button, all is well, I disconnect the device turn it on and woohoo a nice tom tom shaped paper weight.

I then spend a week battling customer services, to get this working as I cannot return the device due to it being software and excluded from 28 day returns policy.

In the end I fixed the device myself, as customer service just insisted on forwarding me pre-prepared scripts that were not able to resolve the issue. I'll not go into how I fixed it but I did have to format it and start from scratch, re-installing applications and maps, which athough I'm capable is not something I feel I should have been doing.

Anyway now the device is backed up and working and in summary it is a great product and I would highly recommend it.

Just make sure you back up the device manually before updating (guide on tomtom website) and you should be golden.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Aug 2009 08:40:16 BDT
I agree with the comment on TomTom's customer service and "once they have your money...". I have experienced very poor after sales service from TomTom from an operator in Portugal who just couldn't have cared less. When the units work, they work well, but TomTom really need to get their after-sales act together.

Posted on 29 Aug 2009 17:18:54 BDT
Steve R. says:
Mr. Stephen A. Ransome,

Do you have any idea if this product perform the same as TT XL IQ Routes UK & ROI if used in UK&ROI?

How do you back up the device manually before updating?

Thanks.

Posted on 29 Aug 2009 23:30:08 BDT
G. Fraser says:
I wish I had read this review before!!! I bought the TT XL IQ as a present for my computer illiterate husband's birthday last week and he loved it. Today he tried to update it and we now have "no maps" at all on our TT. It is Saturday today and the customer service is not open until Monday (although as that is a Bank Holiday, I expect that will mean Tuesday) and we are going on holiday first thing Tuesday morning - great.

Can someone please tell me how to get it going again - the Tom Tom Home website is a load of gobbledy gook!

Posted on 7 Feb 2010 22:28:42 GMT
boxergirl says:
This may be a really dumb question ... but I live in France so would a TomTom specifically for France (bought in France) have better maps than a UK/Europe one bought in the UK ? Thanks ... in advance !

Posted on 8 Apr 2010 17:53:02 BDT
Talllat says:
i couldn't agree more. i think that the product is superb, and streets ahead of other popular gps units, e.g. garmin...
however the after-sales service is absolutely appalling - in fact, from my own experience, non-existent.
i bought up-dated maps (2) at separate times, yet never managed to down-load them : tom tom crashed and even local dealers could not resolve the problem. even two letters, addressed personally to the vice presidents in holland, were never replied to. it is a shame that such a good product should suffer such an inept/incompetent "support" team.
jon

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2010 12:02:31 BDT
David db says:
Sadly I can well believe that the after sales is appalling to non-existant ; problem is I've had ditto experiences both with Acer ( for sat nav - never again) and Mesh (for PCs - never again) at least with a PC one can repair it oneself but a Sat Nav is a whole diff'rent barrel of fish. So what I'm saying in short is that there seems to be little alternative if one wants the 'best' product. Prolly best just to believe from the word go that after sales doesn't exist - a bit like RyanAir!

Posted on 29 Dec 2010 23:27:10 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 20 Jan 2011 19:12:07 GMT]

Posted on 30 Dec 2010 14:08:22 GMT
I had the same experience with my 2 months old Tomtom Device which I purchased from Amazon. Intial one or two updates were downloaded and installed fine ( following the advice , i have backed up the device and then added the update for the first time ). I was confident , and installed the 3rd update before I went on a driving tour before Christmas.
Unfortunately in the tour I have found out that the only thing working in my device is the nevigation to the POI, no address / postcode / city search or any other feature.
Fortunately , I always tend to carry my old Tom Tom device ( which has stopped talking due to the old age and does not have many rich features of post code navigation and lost the attachment kit - and the replacement is not available , but workable ) and somehow managed to enjoy the tour and go to the destinations I wanted to - with great difficulty.
Does tomtom ever test their software changes before putting them onto the downloadable section ? At least check how good their installers are ?

( I managed to fix the installation issue in my Tomtom and it has a much nicer display now at the cost of slowness and huge memory usage ).

Posted on 20 Jan 2011 19:10:35 GMT
Mr D'Arcy says:
Mr. Stephen A. Ransome
What an excellent review while also providing invaluable advice to avoid the pitfalls - double thumbs-up ;-)

Posted on 31 Jan 2011 13:08:10 GMT
Andrew Agnew says:
I am considering puchasing a TOM TOM XL IQ after my navman stoped working.
Can anyone confirm if this unit offers the facility to downoad a spread sheet of mileage history to aid mileage claims etc. ?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (539 customer reviews)

179.99 174.02