2.0 out of 5 stars So disapponited, 6 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
I waited 19 years for this movie and this is what they gave me.
That sounds like I took it personally but by God I did. 'Last Crusade' was one of the first movies I ever saw in a cinema and then I went and sought out the other two on VHS (at the time) and I LOVE those films, simply love them.
When I heard there was a fourth inastalment coming I was cautiously optomistic for a chance to relive the Indy experience in a movie theatre, the trailer looked good, the hype was exciting... then came the film.
The opening was promising, a few nice in-jokes, some well shot action sequences... but then came the fridge.
I wont spoil it for those who havent seen it but I defy anyone to watch the fridge sequence and not say "Huh?"
And from there it was a roller-coaster of 'will it get better?' highs, to 'no it obviously wont' lows.
I didnt mind the aliens, it was set in 1950's America so it was always bound to be aliens, thats fine. What I objected to was the uneccesary characters fighting for screen time, the inexplicable CGH scene with Shia 'Tarzan' Labeouf and the general lack of pace or sustained excitement.
When Lucas released the new Stars Wars trilogy some old-school fans claimed he had "raped their childhood memories", which is a strong statement, and while I wouldnt go that far I do feel that I have been robbed of my nostalga regarding Indiana Jones in the cinema.
Why two stars? It still has a map with a red line tracing Indy's travels, the John Williams score and a shot of a fedora clad Indy in siloette - I owed it at least two.
Will I buy the DVD?
Well I have all of Steven Spielberg's films on DVD (even the pretty hopeless 'Amistad') so I probably will just to complete my collection but it will always be the one that I resent for taking up shelf space.
There has been talk of a Mutt based spin-off series or even a fifth outting for Indy... I beg of anyone who has influence in these things... NO.
At the end of the film there is a little sight gag regarding Indy's famous hat (a reproduction of which hangs on my dining room wall) and Labeouf's character - I wont give away the specifics but when I saw it I turned to the friends I was with and said "If he does it I'm going to walk out", and so I must say now - if they make a fifth film I will not go.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]