5.0 out of 5 stars Finally an angel-themed book worth reading!, 21 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Unearthly (Paperback)
Wow! I mean, really, just *Wow*! What a great debut novel ... :o) And to think, I almost didn't pick this one up simply because the other angel-themed books I read (Becca Fitzpatrick's "Hush, Hush" and Lauren Kate's "Fallen") were so very disappointing ...! But "Unearthly" is different in that it gives us likable characters (that feel real instead of flat) as well as a solid plot and really good writing.

Unlike many heroines in recent books of this genre, Clara is not annoying, whiny or dumb. She doesn't go around thinking about how she's not pretty enough or asking herself why some hot guy would be interested in *her* instead of all other other more beautiful girls out there. Clara's not perfect, but she's someone I could relate to. Her thoughts and problems felt real, and I just really, really liked her!

Likewise, her love interest is *not* the broody-tortured bad-boy type who treats her indifferently most of the time. No, in this case her love interest is actually a really nice guy --- a guy who is polite and respectful and well-mannered. And if you think "booooring" now then I can assure you'd be wrong in thinking that because Tucker is actually sexy and funny and charming and sweet! I just adore him!!! Seriously, I'd marry him in a second ... ;o)

As for Christian ---- we don't really learn all that much about him in "Unearthly" (I have a feeling that we'll get to know him better in the next one, though) but he seems like a nice guy. I have to admit had his "big secret" figured out pretty early on, but I really didn't mind. I just wasn't quite so surprised by the final twist in the book.

Is there a love triangle in this book? Well, kind of. Or rather, there is a hint of a probable future love triangle in it (there isn't one yet, not really). Because, while "Unearthly" certainly has a fair bit of romance, it doesn't hit you over the head with it. There is no instant love. Attraction maybe, curiosity definitely, but not more. This is not one of those books where a girl meets a boy, they confess their undying love for each other by page 50 (despite only having known each other for a couple of days or so), and then spend the next 400 pages making goo-goo eyes at each other.

No, in this book the whole "falling in love"-thing is slower, and much more realistic. And I thought it was great that Clara didn't actually fall in love with Christian --- the boy from her vision, the one who is so perfect and "god-like" --- but with a "regular" boy instead. So, for once, it was the boy-next-door who won over the heroine, the one who is nice and popular --- and yes, good-looking, too --- but in a normal, non-perfect way. Their romance is toe-curlingly good! It's sweet, and funny and had me sighing so often I lost count.

So, as you might have guessed ... definitely "Team Tucker" here ... ;o) I mean, Christian seems nice and all, but Tucker ... *sigh* ...

Anway, let's get back on track. The writing was really good --- there was a flow to it, it felt very vivid and I found it very easy to visualize everything. Nowhere in the book did I feel the urge to cringe at the dialogue (always a plus). The characters were all nicely fleshed-out, and I felt that I got to know them better and better the further I read (character development --- Woohoo!!!!). And, you know, it's not just the main characters (like Clara and Tucker) --- the secondary characters are also crafted very well.

"Unearthly" isn't perfect, but it's very, very good and *definitely* a cut above most books in this genre! It's a book that will grab you, pull you in, and not let you go until you've turned the final page. And then it will make you crave for more ...:o)

I for one can hardly wait for the sequel, "Hallowed", which is currently scheduled for a release in January 2012.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]