1.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept, poorly executed - A fragile, very badly flawed compromise, 11 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Trek-Tech Trek-Pod Go Pro Adjustable Monopod with Anti Rotation Feature (Camera)
I know that 1* reviews are generally moany and unrepresentative of the product, written on the spur of the moment and are frequently ignored. I don't want you to ignore this review though, so I want it to be as objective as possible given the experience I've had over the last week.

To give some context, I took the Trek-Pod Go Pro on a weeks trip to Morocco with me as an unobtrusive lightweight travel pod / walking pole to support my Nikon D90 whilst in towns and a few days in the High Atlas mountains. It struck me as the ideal travel product for the hobbyist photographer. I used the MagMount adapter on the camera.

As I said, this is a very badly flawed compromise for a number of products, that is far from robust and simply not up to performing any of the functions for which it is intended. It does apparently have a lifetime guarantee, which I will be planning to make use of, however on the basis that the company is going through a "corporate restructuring" and the warranty page has been taken down, I actually don't have any faith that this will be honoured. I'll reply when I have found out...

PRESENTATION
Firstly, the product is supplied disassembled in a padded travel case, which I actually felt was reasonably robust and gave me a good initial impression of the product. I know a few of the reviews suggested this case would probably need to be treated with some care, but actually I think you could probably give it a fair amount of abuse before it failed. The case has 4 differently sized pole sleeves for each pole section and a net pocket for the camera adapters, cap, etc.

PORTABILITY
The pole itself is reasonably easy to assemble, however the first problem is the fixed elements of the pole. Unlike a walking pole, tripod or monopod, This is not as collapsible (and therefore portable) as you would expect. All of the elements DO NOT slide inside each other. The lower leg (tripod) section screws into the middle pole and is fixed. Its smallest collapsible length whilst assembled (and without the head-pole which adds an extra 10cm or so) is greater than 1m. This is too long to allow you to attach it to a rucksack or stuff it inside a daysack when you want your hands free, and too long to keep it assembled in your luggage whilst travelling, etc. Yes, you can disassemble the product and store it in its case or carry the pole sections without the case, but to me that defeats the point of this being a travel product, and constantly assembling and disassembling a product is a fiddle, wastes time, is real pain and risks weakining or failure in each of the components.

WALKING POLE
As a walking pole, this is a very heavy product, and as already mentioned is not collapsible so really has to be carried in your hand or disassembled in your pack. The handle is made of foam, and I found that it started to rub after a short while to the point where I was concerned a blister would form. The lower legs (which form the tripod when unwrapped) have feet on each of the 3 elements which gather debris and dirt. As other reviews have suggested, a 1" walking stick rubber would help avoid this and reduce the risk of the feet coming apart, although I didn't have any real concerns that the feet would separate, as long as the legs are tightly velcroed together. Perhaps when the velcro starts to fail with age this could become a problem.

The biggest failure of this product for me however was that whilst walking, even when completely tightened, the tripod legs on the lower section had too much flexibility, which put pressure on the fixed screw joint between the lower and middle poles. Within a short while of using this as a light-duty walking pole, the lower section would come loose and have to be re-tightened. Eventually this screw thread failed completely, the tripod section fell off and couldn't be reattached, rendering the product completely broken and useless for anything. I should reiterate, this was after a half day of light trekking on footpaths, carrying no weight.

This product does not have any shock absorbsion features found in many walking poles.

TRIPOD / CAMERA SUPPORT
I did manage to get a few days use out of the "tripod" before we went trekking and the pole broke. I know that some reviews have had concerns about the simple ball head, but I have to admit, I actually liked the head, and whilst you need the (supplied) allen key to attach the magmount to your camera, it appeared very secure, and the head did easily support my camera with the kit (18-105mm) lens fully extended, both in landscape AND portrait! The tripod legs are easy to extend - just remove the velcro strap! However the legs are fixed length, so it is really only suitable for flat surfaces.

The main purposes of a tripod are to support your camera steadily and allow you to increase exposure times or reduce camera shake. As a tripod, this product was VERY unstable particularly if extended above its minimum extension, and would move significantly in any breeze. This destroyed your ability to use it for anything other than short (hand held) exposures, which renders it pretty much useless as a tripod.

As already mentioned (but worth saying again) it doesn't collapse into itself, however is perhaps a little easier to carry than a tripod as it is obviously designed to be walked with! However a cheap lightweight tripod would be more stable, lighter and arguably more portable (smaller), and therefore much more useful than this product.

I can't really say how good a monopod it was as I didn't get a chance to use it. Its certainly heavier and less portable than the monopods I've got, and isn't collapsible as they are, however as I mentioned, I liked the head. I guess the 3 feet would make it more difficult to pivot?

[Add comment]