5.0 out of 5 stars The all in one, 17 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox One Console: Day One Edition (with FIFA 14 download code) (Console)
First I just want to say that I am not a biased fan boy in fact it is the complete opposite. I own launch editions for both the Xbox One and PS4 which I pre ordered in July. I hold no allegiance, enjoy both systems and remain completely neutral. It is true, not everybody posts a review on the day they purchase something. In my case I have just been too busy playing and enjoying it to write a review. However I now have enough first-hand experience to write a completely legitimate accurate review.

Amazon successfully delivered it to me on the day of release and I was lucky enough to get a perfectly working console.

Hardware

The Xbox One is not the best looking console out there however I don't believe it is as bad looking as some people say it is. Personally I think it looks fine with the set up in my living room. Microsoft are selling it as a multimedia box which is supposed to become the hub of your living room. As of right now it does not support external storage however it will in the future. By far its new standout feature is the new Kinect Sensor. This has the potential to change our living rooms for ever if done correctly. I have decided to make the Xbox One the new hub of my living room by replacing my Blu ray player with it and connecting it to my SKY HD box. The Xbox One has 802.11ac 5G Wi-Fi built in which essentially makes it future proofed and a more than capable streaming device. It gives it ridiculously fast wireless connections, better range, improved reliability, and improved power consumption.

Software

Just like the PS4 and Wii U the Xbox One requires a day one update to be installed before the console is fully operational which does not take too long. The interface is very familiar to those of you who have Windows 8. Personally I like the way it looks. This is where the Kinect comes into its own. Almost everything can be voice activated. I have found the voice commands to work very well although not 100% of the time. This is something that Microsoft are going to keep improving so over time I expect it to get even better. But for what it is I have to admit that it is very slick and cool. This is what next gen is about there is so much potential here.

One of the biggest features the Xbox One has available is its HDMI-in port. This allows you to plug in another device like a cable box or games console and play it through the Xbox One interface. It is possible to plug in for example a PS4 and play it through the Xbox One which works but it does cause a slight delay and some lag. Nonetheless it is still very cool to see it in action!

Now the TV integration features are as of right now slightly broken for us here in the UK and Europe. We use the TV video standard PAL which is 50Hz whereas in America they use NTSC which is 60Hz. The Xbox One outputs at 60Hz which is fine for playing games but not ideal for watching TV. So when I connected my SKY HD box to the Xbox One the video and audio went out of sync because of the different frame rates. However there is a temporary workaround which you can find if you google "Xbox One TV integration suffers noticeable judder in UK". UK and Europe digital TV integration is not fully supported yet but it should be in 2014.

Microsoft also have a Smart Glass App which works very well. You can control the whole interface with it and use your phones keyboard to type which works flawlessly.

Controller

The new Xbox One controller makes the Xbox 360 controller feel old, that's how much better it is. It just feels a lot better in your hands and has more of a premium feel to it. One of the biggest improvements is the new and improved D Pad. There is just no comparison now this is how the Xbox 360 D Pad should have been. The battery pack is now flush at the back making everything more comfortable. I have not fully tested the battery life but it seems to be just as good if not better. I also like the new triggers too. There are just so many improvements you won't want to go back to the Xbox 360 controller again in my opinion.

I have spent hours playing with both the Xbox One and DualShock 4 Controller which I think gives me the experience to make a fair comparison. Here are my thoughts. I can't pick a winner in my opinion they are both equal. The Xbox 360 controller used to be the best and these two both surpass it in my opinion. I think the Xbox One controller has slightly better build quality than the DualShock 4 because my controller seems to have a L1 button that sticks a little when pressed and the R2 trigger feels looser than the L2 trigger although that could just be in my case. Either way I would rate them both on par with each other.

Games

We all know the launch line-up was underwhelming which is to be expected because the best games always come later down the line. Fifa 14 came bundled and I downloaded Killer Instinct which is incredibly fun to play although I wish there was more than one character available at the start. The rest have to be purchased. Both games have great graphics as you would expect and Fifa 14 looks really realistic. It is still very early days we can expect things to greatly improve once everyone has got used to the hardware and more games come out.

Conclusion

This is a console that is full of potential. There will be better games coming out next year and most of its media capability should be functional around that time too. As of right now you would benefit more from the TV integration features if you live in America. It is a more than capable gaming machine, full of features with a bright future ahead of it. When you take all of this into consideration this is a must buy if not now then further down the line.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]