2.0 out of 5 stars The sound has been damaged, not improved, 14 July 2010
This review is from: Disintegration [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
It always grates on me when all a person has to do is see the word "remastered" and they immediately spew out the blind praise that it "sounds amazing". In most cases, that's a very incorrect statement. The two recent Duran Duran reissues are some of the worst I've heard, (and notice the difference between reviews of those CD's on Amazon's UK site compared to here). "Disintegration" is no exception in the world of bad remasters.

On the plus side, the CD had not been brickwalled and compressed to the point that the dynamics are squashed out. However, it's the re-equalizing that's been done that destroyed it for me. The bass has been WAY too enhanced. My headphones were distorting and thumping, and I've never heard these powerful headphone respond this way. "Plainsong" also displays very obvious distortion during the crashing sounds if you view the wave file in a program that displays a spectral view. After I listened to three songs from this lousy "remaster", I sold it on eBay and will stick to the original CD I purchased 21 years ago.

So all of you can praise this release for the supposed improved sound, but as a long time audiophile I can tell you that this CD had not been improved..., unless you consider distorted bass and increased volume an improvement.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Aug 2010 14:38:19 BDT
the pelican says:
Not a problem i've encountered.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2010 15:40:11 BDT
While I do not completely agree with S. Davies' review, I do echo some of his sentiments. The remaster does increase the album's loudness, but the enhanced bass shouldn't be a problem unless someone is listening in a smaller room.

In my experience, a slight reduction of the bass via tone controls will greatly improve the overall balance of this remaster.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2010 11:28:22 BDT
Mike Francis says:
So - is the original edition still better?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Oct 2010 03:52:53 BDT
Mike, sorry I didn't see your post until now. I've been listening to the original edition the past few nights in a row and I must say it sounds fantastic. I've neglected the original due to the remaster for quite a long time and I must say I prefer the original right now.

I'm not saying the remaster sounds horrible because it doesn't, it's just not as good as the original. The remaster is obviously louder, much bassier and *slightly* muddier. The original CD sounds cleaner and clearer although you'll have to turn it up more. I did all of this on my good system.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 22 Nov 2010 19:26:20 GMT
N. Scott says:
Personally I find the bass and midrange has been enhanced on this CD and don't find it a problem at all on my system as a moderate audiophile. Find it odd that it distorts, there again I don't listen on headphones besides the MP3 rip on my Sony X Series walkman but that doesn't distort either.

Seriously think there must be something wrong with those headphones you are utilising. Everything sounds fine with no EQ in Pure Direct mode on my Marantz Receiver, Mission Volare Speakers and NAD CD Player, no distortion what so ever in Plainsong.

Whilst I found particularly the Kiss Me album remaster particularly muddy, no such problem with this release at all, and I am happy to hear the bass pushed more forward, particularly on Fascination St and Closedown.

Posted on 7 May 2011 17:04:06 BDT
well stated base is too enhanced

Posted on 24 Jan 2012 05:57:37 GMT
TheGonz says:
My headphones (akg 99) where also thumping because of the bass AND when I listened the CD in my laptop (Toshiba Qosmio). BUT it had a good sound and no thumping when I listened it in my Pioneer Sound System.
I've found that the drums are brighter now in Homesick. I can hear those brushes rattling on the snare drum, whereas in the original CD, the drums are lower in the mix and muddier.
Anyway, I think the remastering work wasn't that bad.

Posted on 28 Jan 2013 18:00:15 GMT
As with all The Cure remasters, I think this is a significant improvement over the 1989 CD, which is thin and flat and murky. This version one is slightly less murky, and sounds three-dimensional, like I just upgraded to some much better speakers!

Posted on 4 Oct 2013 13:28:18 BDT
J Carpenter says:
I just want to say thank you,
When I'm looking at reviews of a "Remastered" album I want reviews on exactly that, the remastering.
I'm going to get a copy of the original I think.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›