1.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, until it breaks: For the second time in 12 months!, 22 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX6731/02 HealthyWhite Deluxe Rechargeable Toothbrush (Personal Care)
I have used sonic toothbrushes for years and have switched between sonicare and braun models. I have found the Sonicare better than the Braun for cleaning performance. However, we have just returned the second one of these (Amazon have been very good with the returns) and this time I asked for a refund. The problem it seems a link between the toothbrush head and motor breaks. This is exactly the same as the last one. We haven't dropped it and we have a normal usage pattern; my husband and I use it twice a day. It is a shame. When Sonicare wasn't owned by Philips, the toothbrshes were a lot better. This has strengthened my view that all Philips products are rubbish - anything I own with a Philips badge on it either breaks or doesn't perform very well. Maybe I am unlucky!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jan 2010 20:08:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jan 2010 20:09:15 GMT
Gordon P. says:
We also had one that broke, which was frustrating, but now we've bought two more, kept the receipts and bought additional insurance for one of them (the one that travels a lot). Despite Sonicares being quite flakey - the difference in the cleanliness of teeth is ultimately worth it.

Posted on 24 Jan 2010 17:34:59 GMT
T. Hayes says:
We have the same problem with a similar usage pattern; ours has lasted 12 months but Philips have a 2 year guarantee so I will see what happens.

Posted on 11 Feb 2010 11:57:03 GMT
Jay Do says:
I had a Sonicare a few years ago and when it stopped working i rang Philips and they told me to send it back, which i did. I had no proof of purchase and they sent me a replacement one with no questions asked.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2010 23:14:28 BDT
Chris Davis , I have had three of these Brushes and each one has lasted just under a year each one coming loose at the connection at the motor link to the head of the brush, up until I read the above my dentist receptionist has made me feel I have caused them to break has this is the third time,And she said I am the only person to keep bringing them back has it is now over two years since the first one I bought from them they wont change it even though the last one was only exchanged nine months ago I feel ripped off they are not cheap and I am a OAP

Posted on 26 Sep 2010 02:34:46 BDT
I also had to return 2 sonicare toothbrushes to the manufacturer after failure (the brush head failed to vibrate after 6 months and 8 months of ownership). However, the toothbrushes are so efficient and the exchange service excellent so I have remained loyal to the brand.

Posted on 17 Apr 2011 10:25:11 BDT
P Fogg says:
Yep same problem for me: I've had two now and both broke after 12 months. I took the second one apart and the magnets that connect the motor to the head come unstuck from their mounting.

Posted on 6 May 2011 13:57:49 BDT
I have had my Sonicare toothbrush for just over a year, and today it stopped working. I haven't dropped it or anything, all I did was charge it last night. Anyway I phoned Phillips and they are going to replace it for me. So in the mean time I have to use a normal toothbrush!

Posted on 11 Nov 2011 13:47:16 GMT
Same problem with the motor and head losing connection, after 8 months of use. I really like the Sonicare style of brush and clean and also the fact that it keeps its charge for about 3 weeks so was disappointed. However, I contacted Philips with my proof of purchase and they were very efficient and will be sending me a replacement handle.

Posted on 24 Jan 2012 14:06:45 GMT
I totally agree with this review.I purchased the sonicare almost 12 months ago it was excellent until two weeks ago when the metal connector came away with the toothbrush head when I was replacing it (usually replace every 4 months).
Amazon have been excellent in dealing with this problem but I am wary about buying again.

Posted on 10 Feb 2012 14:23:42 GMT