5.0 out of 5 stars Pocket sized perfection!, 27 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Ricoh GR Expert Compact Digital Camera - Black (16MP) 3 inch LCD Screen (Electronics)
Having had a Panny Lx3 for several years , which has been my everyday, everywhere camera, I bought a Canon 600D DSLR to shoot my sisters wedding, after falling in love with the results, but increasingly hating lugging a DSLR and lenses around, the DSLR has started gathering dust because of its impractical size, so after lusting after the Ricoh GR1s/r etc 35mm cameras for when I'm shooting film, the Ricoh GR (APS-C) is almost as close as I'm going to get to a full frame pocket stealth machine in digital form for now ( no doubt a full frame version will emerge in a few years) so after deciding to downsize to the Ricoh GR, I'm going to ditch the DSLR format, and while I may miss it for the flexibility of shoving a 135mm 2:8f or a 17mm or even a 50mm 1.4, my back isn't !
After giving the GR a test at another wedding, I feel confident that this is going to be a real workhorse, with it's fast lens and 28mm field of view, it caught the majority of shots I tried to get ( the ones I missed more more likely my fault) and it's great fx range gives some really fantastic, and not gimmicky film processes, the B&W and cross-process got some serious use, and the high contrast B&W will give lovers of Daido Moriyama a taste of his signature look!
The high ISO shots aren't brilliant, they're ok in colour, but in B&W they give a real filmic grain, something that I love, so already, I'm happy !
While I've only used it for a one full day, and that is a full 12hrs travelling from London to Paris, then on to a wedding and use indoors, outdoors, with flash etc... I'm really happy with the versatility and power of this camera, it really is small, and fitted in the jacket or pocket of my slim fitted suit! It's also very, very well made, works right out of the box ( after a charge of course!) and it's very easy to understand...
So, a massive thumbs up from me !

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Dec 2013 22:47:17 GMT
David8732 says:

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 13:35:53 GMT
Excuse me? Actually is was a great idea, as the results were very good! my sister got free photography, I found an excuse to by a DSLR, everyone's a winner!
I've actually been using cameras for 20-25 years, my OM-1 being my mainstay for most of that time, I've also shot TLR, point an shoot Contax, Olympus trip, and a fair few Rangefinders, as well as being able to strip down and repair a Yashica Electro 35 and Oly Trip 35, as well as developing and printing my own film, so I think I can say, I have had a bit of experience.
And as this is a review of the Ricoh GR, not a critique of my photography, I think you should check yourself, before making pithy, childish comments, that amounts to nothing more than inane trolling, leaving you open to looking an idiot.

enjoy your pans..... dave.....

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2013 18:50:21 GMT
Simon N. says:
Well said N.Cannon. A bit of a pointless shot at someone prepared to post an opinion. As a fan of Daido Moriyama - with no pretensions to try and emulate him - you've convinced me at least (cheers).

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2014 12:53:57 BDT
Thanks Simon, I'm no pro, but I enjoy photography, both for personal use and in my job as a graphic designer in the fashion industry.
The fx filters are very good, the cross process and the high contrast B&W as well as the positive film looks get the most use.
After around 6 months heavy, daily use, I can say quite honestly that this is a great camera, the only downside is that it doesn't do close macro! I still have my DSLR for that, which I now use with a 500m manual lens with a tripler! to shoot the moon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›