5.0 out of 5 stars Scanning madly!, 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 Deluxe A4, Duplex Wi-Fi Scanner (Accessory)
I've become a scanning-addict from about 13:00 13th August 2013. This scanner arrived at 12:40 PM. It took me only a few minutes to install the software and make all the necessary connections. Then bingo - I press a button and the thing sucks in a piece of paper and spits it out gently. I almost couldn't believe my eyes. So I had to do that a few more times. It was soooo good! I mean I saw many videos of how it worked on YouTube and it appeared really good but seeing it in live action is another thing.

Right - I was a bit worried that the delivery by Amazon Logistics might not arrive. Had a bad experience with them a couple weeks ago - and there is a thread collecting all customers bad experiences here on Amazon. Well, I had my ear glued to that door and was stalking the front of my house. Thankfully the parcel arrived in good order. Amazon, please keep up any remedial work on delivery.

Back to the scanner - look, I'm still scanning stuff. I've gone through tons of old documents and have set them aside for shredding or incinerating. My HP 4300J scanner with ADF just cannot compete. I will still need it for the odd bit of crumpled paper that absolutely needs a flatbed. But now this iX500 has taken over. I mean this is like Veyron of home scanners! LOL. All the basic scanning software works well. Setting up WiFi connection is easy - more so if you have WPS on your router. Just press WPS on router and on scanner and you're away!

The part that's shockingly the best is scanning from my phablet - a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - like wow this is really incredible. Get this, it appears to take the scan off the scanner faster than my laptop! Like how good is that!!!!! You know when you buy all singing and dancing stuff, you're kind of waiting for it to cause trouble because you kinda think 'nah.. it can't work that well'. Well, this really works.

The scans are very clear and sharp at the recommended level of around 300dpi. So like a few minutes ago I decided to try out some receipts from Tesco and Asda - the machine is 'unforgiving' of paper bills. It sucks em in, spits them out and produces a scanned and trimmed document on my laptop... wirelessly!!!! Ama jumping for joy!! Gosh I can't contain myself. Supermarket receipts have a habit of fading after a few months. Well this cures that. And get this, the receipts are trimmed automatically for page size in PDFs created.

Colour scanning is just brilliant. I'll say no more. File sizes depend on resolution etc. At 300 dpi in Black and White, file sizes are not large at all.

The rollers need replacing every 200,000 scans (and the machine keeps a count for you). However if like me, you will make say 5000 scans per year, you shouldn't need to replace this for 40 years, by which time you surely will have bought other devices as technology advances, or you've passed on. :)

The footprint on a desk is very small. One thing to be careful with the output tray door remains slightly at an angle by design, to collect paper. You may be tempted to press it flat. Don't as it will break. (no I didn't break it).

I've had some problems with MagicDesktop software. It won't install properly - but that doesn't affect my use of the machine at all because the ScanSnap software does all the work of scanning. I'll sort out that glitch later - I mean MagicDesktop is separate software for document filing, searching etc so no worries if you're thinking of buying the non-deluxe model.

Well, that's all for the moment. I've gotta get back to me scanning - it's such a joy. I'll update this review as I learn more or if I encounter any problems.

01/09/2013 18:27PM (Addendum)
I've been using the iX500 now quite regularly. I thought I should share a few more things.
To start of, it remains lovely!! And liken (by analogy) to a 'good wife', it gets better as you get to know each other. :) LOL. As I've been using the Deluxe package, I have tried Rackfiler2 and gotten MagicDesktop working. Still trying to work them to my advantage - takes time to learn as always.

Today alone, I've scanned over 1500 pages. In all that the following were very good:
1. Scan quality strangely seemed to have improved - without tweaking - as I use it more. I can't explain that.
2. The ScanSnap Organizer software beats back Nuance PaperPort 14 pro. I've used the latter for a long time. It makes PPpro look slow and clumsy. No turning back. I've now decommissioned PPpro.
3. The wireless scanning is a doddle to set up especially if have WPS on your router. I've been loving the distance from the scanner 4 metres away. I can do things with my computer whilst on the settee surfing the net while stuff is scanning away.
4. Paper jams occasionally happen by that's so easy to recover from. I just take out what's stuck and put it back in the place it should have been. Then press the scan button on the iX500 and we're back in business.
5. It's remarkably sensitive in picking up when two pages are stuck together and gone through, when it would pause and ask for options. Restarting from where you need to is easy.
6. It's difficult to separate the total scanning experience of the 'scanner' from the 'software'. They work together so well.

I've had tons of old paper files taking up storage space on book shelves. Now they're all disappearing. Electronic file sizes are amazingly good too - 370 pages down into 50MB. Me likeee!!!! LOL. Readability is excellent. I've only tried OCR software once..seems to work but no need to rely on it for my purposes, which is archiving.

Actually, I've been discovering that my biggest problem now is ...wait for it.. staples!! Yes! Stapled documents are slowing me down! I've been using the usual jaw type staple remover which is fine. But when I get fed up, I just use a pair of shears to slice of the corners on pages containing the staples.

I have an ADF HP scanner/printer, and I was painfully and slowly using PPpro to get through the large set of documents. The whole thing, was very very slow over several months. I mean it's fine if you just have 100 pages to scan using PPpro and an ADF scanner. But when you have thousands of pages, it becomes a pain.

I was recommending iX500 to a colleague last night, and he said "it's a bit pricey". Well, I can't argue with that. But to be honest I just couldn't get through the lot that I have to scan a more cost efficient way. So for me - it's just brill.

Oh - one last thing - the ultrasonic sensors to an amazing job on things like supermarket receipts, that are not standard size of paper. It senses the edges of the receipts very well and crops the PDF paper down to the exact size. These receipts come out crystal clear. Stick in a long document like a CRB certificate - no problem, it'll make the PDF that size. It can scan papers up to 34 inches in length (according to booklet).

For anyone with loads of documents to scan, I'd say close your eyes and buy this. It's more than worth the money (for me at least).

2014-10-08 13:35PM
Back to report on our relationship. ;)

It's going good. She's still doing the job - no nags, no fussing. No love but once there's no nagging, I'm cool LOL.
Must have scanned now some 10000 sides since I last checked in. It's working well.

Fujisu have updated their software, so everything works fine.

My mate from the Midlands bought an iX500, probably infected by my exicitment about it. Well he's happy with the machine too.

A note for those who use traditional scanners: this machine is not TWAIN compatible. I'm not missing TWAIN though - not at all. Hopefully one day Nuance (Omnipage) can be compatible with the iX500.

Wireless scanning on my network still works well. The only slight problem - and it's nothing to do with the machine. It's about me finding time and organising myself to scan tons of stuff from over they years. The amazing thing about paper is the way it just sits there out of sight and piles up.

Now cutting into the 'mountain' is not as easy as letting it rest there. But hey ho.. after spending all that money for this machine.. that's motivation to get on with it.

Best regards to all.

==============

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Nov 2013 21:14:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Nov 2013 21:15:39 GMT
Excellent review having moved to an apartment I need the space my paperwork files are hogging so know this is the way to go. Would have been nice to know how it coped with photographs.
I have thousands of photos in shoeboxes in my basement storeroom. Some reviews say the feeder can scratch the photo, with thousands to scan I do not have the time to scan photos with a flatbed scanner so had hoped ix500 might work even if it did slightly mark, as long as the scan was ok blemish could be fixed with photoshop. Would appreciate comment

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2013 07:10:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Nov 2013 07:35:51 GMT
j s says:
The ScanSnap machines with feeders (S1500M/S1500 & iX500) have rollers that dig into the surface of the photo leaving slight marks on the surface of them, so really not advised for mass usage. (UPDATE: although on thinking about it, I think even the other smaller cheaper non-feeding ScanSnap models also have small roller's on them.)

Best option most people do, is to send the photos to one of the places that specialise in mass scanning photos. They usually scan them, then let you pick the ones you want to keep and they charge you accordingly. Dunno any company names, so you'll have to Google them.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2013 07:26:28 GMT
All ScanSnap machines have rollers, however my particular iX500 hasn't dug into my paperbased photos on scanning. I've scanned countless photos so far, with no evidence of digging into or any slight marks caused to them. This is not to say that the majority of my particular model of ScanSnap will not cause such digging in or marks on photos. What I am saying (for the avoidance of doubt) is that
a) the existence of rollers in ScanSnap machines
b) that they roll on to photos, and
c) that some may dig into photos
Is not consistent with my experience of the lack of marks on photos I've scanned.
Therefore any generalisation to that ScanSnap machines 'dig into the surface of photos leaving slight marks' is inconsistent with my experience of my use of my iX500.

Marks on paperbased photos caused by rollers (in general) may depend not just on rollers but on the quality of print and the quality of paper printed on.

It is possible that the photos that I've scanned with my iX500 that came out free of marks were due to:
1. individual difference on my machine, and/or
2. individual differences on my photos and the way they were printed.

I would agree that if the risk of marks can be caused by the interaction between rollers on any scanning device and the paper print of a photograph, then that risk is either to be accepted or rejected.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2013 07:52:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Nov 2013 07:53:36 GMT
j s says:
Between home and work, I have 1x S1500, 2x S1500M, and 2x iX500 machines, and they ALL leave feed marks on MOST photos tried.

The marks are not massively obvious, but can be seen on the SURFACE of the prints following scanning. This may or not bother the user concerned as they are generally quite slight. But it is something they should be aware of none the less.

As I said above, the cheaper models have rollers on as well, as they obviously still need to feed the paper through the machine, just one at a time, rather than batched as the bigger models offer.

Regardless of this difference in opinion, I suggest you (talking to "Scannerocr" here) perhaps buys one of these iX500 machines to at least try it for yourself, as if you don't like its results you can simply return it for free to Amazon for refund (as per most Amazon sales), and instead could consider my other third-party scanning company suggestion if their pricing and service suits you.

Hell, you may even like it for other uses: they really make most paperwork a non-issue, that's for sure!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2013 11:20:09 GMT
Thank you for your comments really helpful. I will purchase this scanner in the new year it will be worth it for all the paper and I believe will be ok for the photographs. Will make comment when up and running with the project

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 11:34:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jun 2014 21:10:29 BDT
Purchased this week.
Wow. Yes I am also addicted, my wife says quite badly. I have only had this ix500 for a couple of days and have already scanned a big box of photographs, of which only two have marked and to be honest they just may have been marked before I scanned them. But I am not going to check every photograph before I scan.
I will be sensible and say the machine is brand new, it may mark as it gets older but will have to wait and see. A task which I have avoided for 7 years will now be completed as free time permits.
My son in New York and daughter in London are delighted Dad has at last found a super fast scanner. They thank me for the trips down memory lane which have already been e mailed to them and I pass on my thanks to you for writing the review and making me realise that it was possible.
Yes I am a little bewildered with rack filer have had some success and will need to study and gain experience. I have not yet started on the paperwork but just know I am going to be a very happy man.
I will update in a couple of months.
But once again thanks for your very sensible review.
ps. Can I just mention it is only coincidence my name is scanner ocr. I once did some scanning for a friend and taught myself how to scan and edit ocr and over 18 months produce some work for a friend. If I had known about Fujitsu Scan snap it would all have been done in about 3 months.
June
A little delayed in updating this comment never the less my views after several months of ownership.
Brilliant scanner. Paperwork completed very quickly and now used on a monthly basis to keep up to date with my files.
Photographs. Yes it does mark the photographs which is a shame. However marks kept to a minimum if you clean the rollers etc. I have used a new paintbrush and give it a whizz every 1000 pictures.
It did not take long to master the act of feeding the input tray with new pictures, most of my albums contained 500 to 700 pictures and all done in one go.
Really pleased I made this purchase. Only moan is that the bundled software only works on a Windows computer. Rackfiler, well I do not even bother with it. Magic desktop again not used.
Now the photographs are almost completed I will do my monthly paperwork on my Macbook and return to the Windows computer if I want to use adobe for editing documents.
Thanks for your advice. Very helpful

Posted on 18 Oct 2014 17:11:06 BDT
I'm back to give a brief update. There was a concern some time ago that streak marks of some sort were being caused by rollers in the iX500. I can now conclusively put this to rest. The streak marks are actually artifacts cause by compression software.

When I scan paper photographs in colour, at highest resolution, at zero compression, there are no streak marks whatsoever. Photo quality is excelent and now makes negative scanning at 5000dpi not competitive. Best wishes to all.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›