3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly diverting, but WAY too long...., 15 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Distant Hours (Kindle Edition)
What on earth went wrong with this book? Was there no editor involved? It is at least 100 pages too long, there is endless overlapping of plot and descriptions of rain and thunderstorms. Chapter after chapter underlining the terrible fate of the lost love of Juniper, and then this huge build-up towards the final revelation of what actually happened... and.... it all seems a bit of a damp squib. After all sorts of dark references to the Father and his power over the 3 sisters, any suspense just fizzles away into the muddy moat.

Yes, there is some lovely descriptive language along the way, but SO much repetition, and so many allusions to other classics - Great Expectations, Rebecca, I Capture the Castle, and of course, the author's own first two books.

In the end, after days of struggling to reach the end of this heavyweight tome, I felt like throwing it across the room. So many words for such a small outcome.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Nov 2010 13:16:06 GMT
elsie purdon says:
i agree ! and i felt very disappointed, to have spent so much time reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2010 09:11:01 GMT
Absolutely spot on, I very, very rarely never finish a book but I gave up totally fed up with nothing happening apart from darkly wandering about and flip flopping back and forth. Such a shame

Posted on 7 Dec 2010 15:46:18 GMT
JENNY says:
i couldn't agree more with this review I had the same problem, I was always hoping that something dramatic was goint to happen - it didn't, thankfully I finished the book and wondered why I started in the first place.

Posted on 8 Dec 2010 11:02:29 GMT
I have tried several times to get along with this book. Way too long. I am a quarter of the way and feel it should have ended. I even feel I know what is going to happen.
Probably a good idea if the author now wrote on a completely different genre.

Posted on 29 Dec 2010 10:42:35 GMT
I. L. Braad says:
I couldn't agree more. What a disappointment! I could only finish it by skipping numerous pages.

Posted on 28 Jan 2011 09:08:21 GMT
Absolutely correct! This book is indeed at least 100 pages too long, possibly closer to 200....it drags on and one and becomes repetitive. It is said as it had all the makings of a wonderful book like Kate Morton's first two novels but the length and disappointing ending let it down.....the magiv of House of Riverton is definitely not repeated here.

Posted on 12 Feb 2011 11:20:52 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Feb 2011 11:21:42 GMT]

Posted on 12 Feb 2011 11:22:47 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Feb 2011 11:25:59 GMT]

Posted on 13 Feb 2011 09:41:02 GMT
Avid Reader says:
I agree, this book is far too long. Whilst there is some very good writing here and some great descriptions I lost the will to read about half way through. I finished it only because I was determined to, not because I was still engaged with the book. The ending was a disappointment (stretching reader's credulity a bit too far I think). A shorter, pacier novel with a more 'shocking' (and in parts, less predictable) ending would have been far better.

Posted on 24 Mar 2011 22:43:43 GMT
Janie P says:
Got to agree with this review. I will only be rating this with one star. A poor effort from a writer who has the ingredients to deliver in this genre, but who scored a fail with this book. As we were led off into yet another diversion (someone's dream, someone's reminiscences about an episode entirely unrelated to the plot) only the fact that I was reading this in a public place stopped me from shouting "get on with it".
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (492 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist