1.0 out of 5 stars What else can you buy? Something more reliable., 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix FZ62 Bridge Camera - Black (16.1MP, 24x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
UPDATED 23/7/2013
After only 8 months of light use I sometimes have problems with turning it off without taking out the battery.
Problems with C1 program, it always defaults to Movie mode, impossible to change it.
Similar problems with Zoom, sometimes works sometimes not, when it fails again take out battery then replace.
I am in touch with both Panasonic and Amazon about returning it under guarantee.
I still have a 7 year old Olympus fortunately no such problem.

UPDATED 2/10/2012
I agree with the other reviewer/writer it has excellent features, too many without a manual to hand, also too many menus.
Without actually looking at the rear buttons before shooting it is easy to hit the wrong one/button during use, especially the AF/AF closeup/MF button, sometimes I manage to touch one by mistake in use & I don't have an enormous thumb! The red movie button on the top seems eratic both beginning & stopping a movie, sometimes does not work for me so I prefer to use the main dial for movie mode, also the on/off lever feels as if 1 day it will snap!
Since writing the above I have definitely found the buttons on the back a problem, touching them without trying, & the design of the body with a space for your thumb.........you need deformed hands to use it, that's probably why I touch the buttons accidentally, the auto focus does not focus on the object always, sometimes on something in front of it to the side instead, I've tried changing the focus modes to no avail.
OTHER GRIPES...............NO MOVABLE SCREEN, also the lens cover..............problems getting off & on!
The zoom lens works well in low light, & now have made good movies & shot reasonable photos in Auto mode. The stills are OK but I expected more, especially using the Zoom the camera does not auto-focus well in my opinion. Another big gripe as has been stated in all reviews is the lack of any extended time mode. I used to like shooting the night sky, also movement of speed shots, not possible at all.
I have owned 2 Olympus cameras previously & both were better thought out body-wise, also allowed night shots etc.
I did think about sending it back but shall continue in my quest for excellence because what else is available?
So to sum up..........
GOOD
Value for money & features compared with competitors, I spent days researching them all.
Has a viewfinder.
Some/most photos are good.
Movies.
Battery life.
BAD
Stills focusing. On one menu option it has various so-called focus points outlined together, who wants that, I just want to focus on the main object?
If I could I would post examples but not sure you can with comments?
No extended exposure.
Instructions.
UGLY
Body design & button placement.
Panasonic website/sites, although they do respond quickly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Sep 2012 20:15:56 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 8 Nov 2012 18:58:13 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2012 12:12:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Sep 2012 12:14:07 BDT

Posted on 13 Sep 2012 22:11:43 BDT
Sam Sam says:
This review is not a review and is giving a false representation of the score. Most manufacturers don't include a full paper manual any more as it saves paper and makes them greener companies. The manuals are readily available online. I downloaded a copy within 15 mins of searching for it.

You should not have reviewed the camera until you had actually used it and factored in the experience with the manual into the overall review.

I wish people would learn to use the review sections properly, it so frustrating when looking at products to buy as you waste time filtering them out.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2012 16:22:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Sep 2012 16:23:37 BDT
laago says:
Obviously you were luckier or more intelligent than me & as stated I will post a review as soon as I know how to use it.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2012 14:50:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Sep 2012 14:53:09 BDT
JB. says:
So why not wait until you have used the camera before you post a review?

Posted on 8 Oct 2012 10:26:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Oct 2012 10:27:35 BDT
You should have been able to access the manual from the enclosed CD rom that comes with the whole package. Did you look in the box? (I had one with my FZ48)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2012 11:08:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Oct 2012 11:09:18 BDT
There was no CD rom!
Just a basic manual.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2012 12:15:58 BDT
that's strange...maybe you can request one from Panasonic...

Posted on 18 Oct 2012 15:29:05 BDT
T.J.Byford says:
You should bear in mind that your contract of purchase is with the retailer. You should have taken up the matter with them and not the manufacturer. They are legally obliged to supply you with the disc as this is part of the package. Incidentally, the CD-Rom contains one manual that covers both the FZ200 and the FZ62. One thing that does occur to me, did you buy from an authorised Panasonic UK retailer?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2012 13:09:14 BDT