5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective techniques to fight depression, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world (Paperback)
I've suffered from depression most of my adult life and in that time have been fighting it on numerous fronts: Antidepressants, exercise, dietary changes, CBT and of course enough self help books to start a small shop on the subject. But all of these have only helped with some of the symptoms, none have really cured my depression and none have gone to the heart of it and shown me WHY I am depressed.

I had read in numerous places that meditation was considered beneficial and a particular branch of this, "mindfulness", even more so. But my first experiences with this subject were not good. Having bought the Dummies guide initially, it certainly had many "Aha!" moments but no structure and like most self help books soon went back on the shelf and out of memory. Then I tried a guided meditation CD which whilst considered one of the best in the field it was just too long - I can manage to stay awake for maybe 10 minutes at most when relaxing in this manner and I dare say anyone else on medication for depression would be the same. So that became a useful tool to help me sleep but nothing else.

This book was different. I'll be blunt, I nearly didn't buy it, having become jaded with the whole self-help philosophy but the good reviews and above all the ridiculously low price made this worth the risk. What this book does is give a formal structure - an 8 week course - to the whole idea of mindfulness, plus it gets you going with some very sensible length guided meditations on the CD. With most of these well under 10 minutes, the chances of nodding off are greatly diminished and the typical objections such as "I don't have time" are overcome. And let's be frank about this, if you're suffering from depression and feeling low, you CAN justify 10 minutes a day to try and fight it.

But talk about one huge red herring! Like many, I thought meditation was sitting cross-legged and staring into space. Whilst to an outsider this might appear to be what you are doing for some of this course (well apart from the cross-legged bit, you can sit or lie however you like) what's actually happening inside your head is remarkable. For more information on this you need to be careful to look up psychological mindfulness rather than the religious one, since there is virtually no reference to any religion in this course; this is not a course about Buddhism or any practice designed to enlighten you or take you to God.

What this is all about is giving you the tools to gently, carefully, see how your entire thought processes work. To use an analogy, imagine you have been living in a City all your life and this book takes you for a walk up a nearby hill, letting you look back on the scene and giving you a view you never had before. And it's as easy as going for a walk - just practice the mindfulness exercises in the book and on the CD - then things click. Yes, you may feel silly to start with (I did), yes you might think you're rubbish at meditating (I am), yes some of the exercises do elicit a feeling of "What's the point?" but stick with it, slowly but surely you are changing the way you look at life and more importantly, starting to detach yourself from the self-destructive thought processes which contribute to or even, as in my case, actually seed your depression.

How can something so gentle work so well? Everyone has their own view on this. Personally, I think the main power of this type of course is that YOU have to do the work. Yes, you really do need to do this every day and that won't suit everyone. But when you do, what you discover is self-discovered, you learn and heal by direct experience of something tangible, rather than blindly believing or accepting something you're told (which is the premise of many self help books, especially ones promising quick fixes).

The irony about this book is this: The worse you think you are at meditating the better mindfulness is! Because the other red herring is the whole foundation of mindfulness (coming into the present and freeing yourself from the shackles of the past and the worry of the future) is built on seeing what's going wrong in our heads, where our thought processes get screwed up. And how do we discover this? By failing at meditation and then gently and compassionately thinking "Ah, I can see I've wandered off track" - and repeating this over and over, seeing first and then understanding later how this process works. How the mind and our thoughts work and take us away from the moment we live in - this moment. How our whole life is a train of thoughts that just keep coming but one which we can learn to control. It's about switching off the autopilot.

So does it work? For me, yes. This is the first treatment in my whole adult life (I'm 40 now) which unlocked the root causes of my illness. It happened one morning in the shower actually just three days into this course. I was starting to run over some event that happened many years ago, reshaping it into something that might happen in the future, getting very negative about the whole thing, my mind running on and on. I remembered one of the exercises in the first week, to do something mindful as it teaches you to do. Then I saw it - I saw my depressive, negative thoughts from the outside. For the first time, I was no longer IN my thoughts, being that depressive and anxious person, I was seeing the whole process from the outside. From then, over the 8 weeks, this idea and concept was refined and re-enforced.

The book actually went further than this, but I am reluctant to waffle on too much about my experiences because it will sound too good to be true! Let's just say I have never been happier and my whole life experience has become the opposite of depression - I have been given new eyes. I should point out that I do this course now on a rolling basis, having first started seven months ago. I wanted to wait this long before reviewing since I still retained some concern it might be a temporary fix, but it does seem to have rewired many faulty parts of my life on a permanent basis.

The only thing this book lacks is any help or guidance on interacting with the same people who only knew you as a depressed person. You may experience a growing gulf between yourself and those around you when you become aware of what's underneath and start to unlock the good things there. Trying to explain this all to friends and family - which you'll want to, you'll be excited - is hard work because the tangible results and feelings you get are difficult to explain in lay terms (you have to experience it to understand it). You may also find that other people cannot explain the fact you do actually smile a lot more - you're so happy - they can become defensive and please don't let this burst your bubble. Just remember: This is all about YOU.

It has also opened many doors to areas I was previously a skeptic to, notably spirituality and the concept of us (as in the "I", the person or soul inside) being separate from our thoughts which I personally believe is the key to getting a grip on depressive illness.

For anyone else interested after you have tried this course there are a couple of recommendations for further reading from Amazon. The first is "Untethered Soul" by Michael Singer. This approaches core concepts of mindfulness from a non-meditation perspective. If meditation is the gentle and flowing guide, then Untethered Soul is the street-fighter which will club you over the head; it pulls no punches and therefore is good as further reading once you have a grounding in the basics. I found a combination of the tools from Mindful Meditation and Untethered Soul quite a potent mix in some challenging life events. "Mindfulness for Dummies" is a useful follow up book (by Shamash Alidina), mostly because of the reworking of the same ideas in different ways and the CD providing more guided meditation, though I cannot recommend it as a starting point to this journey because of its lack of good structure, only as a useful way of continuing your progress.

Finally, if you get hooked on the meditation side then by far the best book to explore this that I have found is "Buddhist Meditation" by Kamalashila. Obviously the slant on meditation here is a religious one (but in a nice and non-intrusive way) however this book has some very practical tools and guides to help you meditate without a guided CD, this is the start of yet another journey.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Aug 2012 21:34:24 BDT
cerrig says:
What a wonderful review, straight out of your own experience. And very heartening and encouraging it is, too. Thank you.

Posted on 12 Oct 2012 13:16:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Oct 2012 13:17:36 BDT
Hil64 says:
Thank you, your review has given me hope. I have been bought this book by my sister, and I was wondering whether to leave it until I was feeling less depressed, but I think I will start following the course straight away after reading your about your experiences.

Posted on 4 Jan 2013 16:25:22 GMT
E. J. Newton says:
thank you for spending so much time writing this review. It full of relevant comment and recommendation, An excellent piece of writing

Posted on 11 May 2013 10:49:24 BDT
Jane Porter says:
I'd also like to thank you so much for taking the time to give such an open account of your experiences. I have the Mindful Way Through Depression on audio which is really good but I do fall asleep while listening to it. I'm going to buy this book, based on your recommendation. Thanks again. With best wishes Janee

Posted on 23 May 2013 17:28:41 BDT
purkle says:
As others have commented, I just wanted to thank you for your extremely honest feedback, which has certainly encouraged me, and I'm sure will do for others, but more than encouragement you've highlighted an accessible path into this (I was a bit lost as to where to start - and not having had the funds for expensive Buddhist courses I wasn't sure that I would be able to find a way in). Having been looking more into Mindfulness for some time, I have massive hopes for how useful this is going to be in encouraging a new way of being, and finally (thanks to you explaining the 2 branches of religious / psychological) found the right starting point. Apart from all that, it is truly incredible to hear about people's 'lightbulb moments', and I just want to thank you for sharing your experiences. I hope that being mindful continues to enhance your life experience as much as it has so far. It is what we make it (when we've found a key, that is!) as they say :) Best wishes.

Posted on 7 Jun 2013 21:59:01 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 7 Jun 2013 21:59:25 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2013 15:41:10 BDT
Pete says:
Thanks everyone for all your kind feedback. I am so happy to say that quite a long time later I remain medication free and basically completely normal (which for someone like myself who has been dogged by depression for decades is a miracle). Whilst I no longer meditate daily - I don't need to - all the good things from this course remain with me. I think above all else the major thing that has changed is the sense of inclusion in the universe that meditation gives you - that you are not alone, but part of a bigger thing called life. That's such a wonderful companion as we walk the lonely and dark roads of depression. Because you no longer have to rely on fallible, unreliable people for support, rather this support comes from all around you and from within YOU (hard to explain in words). One other great gift this book has given me is this: One of the chapters encourages you to get out and walk in nature. I would never have bothered if it was not for this book. A year later and I continue to walk almost daily in woods and along the coast (often alone and entirely happy with this!), something I credit with boosting my mental health as much as the mindfulness. To combine the benefits of meditation, mindfulness AND nature, is something else - it is rocket fuel for recovery.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2013 09:34:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jul 2013 09:36:52 BDT
MARGARET says:
Thank you so much for writing this review! I wish all reviews were as well thought out.
I am trying to get into mindfulness and meditation but the number of books and CDs are mind blowing and I was struggling to find a starting point ( I am not a fast reader so need to choose carefully). This is the FIRST review that has really helped me with this. You are so good at describing :
What you were trying to achieve
The path that helped you
Where this work fits into that path
Other works on that path and why them.
Why some other good works didn't help.
How long the impact has lasted.

I think a lot of the points you make here are worth reading in the review of the other related book .

Again, many thanks for a great review

Posted on 28 Jul 2013 21:39:34 BDT
Your review brought tears to my eyes and made me smile at the same time. I share your experience of mindfulness and owe a hell of a lot (my life) to people like Mark Williams and Jon Kabat Zinn for popularising this incredible insight into our minds. I'm so pleased for you Pete. Also great review you capture it perfectly.

Posted on 1 Aug 2013 08:11:08 BDT
MP2010 says:
Really helpful to hear your comments, beautifully written, and easy to identify with... I bought this book a couple of years ago, but got distracted by other things after the first chapter or so, and it got consigned to the pile of other self-help books on the shelf - yet another thing to feel slightly guilty and bad about! I've recently started meditation again (inspired by a Horizon programme) and am already feeling the benefits, and look forward to giving this book a proper chance. I agree wholeheartedly with your comments (below) about walking in nature, which I do as often as possible (just thinking about it makes me smile)... alone works for me, but never remotely lonely! Thanks again for redirecting me to this book...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›