5.0 out of 5 stars Only buy this if you are serious about succeeding, 3 July 2012
This review is from: The Author's Marketing Handbook (Kindle Edition)
Those old enough to remember the late Victor Kiam will recall his TV ad and catchline about Remington "I liked it so much, I bought the company." Well I haven't bought Claire Ryan's company but I did buy her book and once I'd read it I hired her to help me.

So there. Full disclosure. I didn't know the author before I bought this book, but I do know her now and I like what she does.

The Author's Marketing Handbook is not for you if you fall into any of these categories:

Lazy dreamers
Those in search of a shortcut to the top of the bestseller list
Seekers of assurance that everything in self-publishing is pretty easy really

The book is for you if you are willing to work really hard to put Claire's principles into practise.

Claire is upfront from the start; she will tell you what to do to help get your book an audience, and she tells you that in a simple, straightforward manner with as few technical terms as possible. Also, admirably, in my view, she does not use the book to try and sell her services. In fact she even includes an HTML primer and quite specific instructions on how to do everything yourself.

I found that much of the 'techy' stuff I could do and indeed had done before I bought the book:

I had my blog, website and twitter account: they weren't linked directly to my writing but had a reasonable following - 1550 Twitter followers: 3.5k blog hits on my busiest day . . . I'm telling you this because even if you're communicating pretty well already, and you're fairly savvy on the tech front, the essence of Claire's book is about harnessing those skills for use in ebook marketing.

If you are not tech-minded, this book will walk you through what you need to do. If you are technically minded, you still need the marketing nous.

What you will definitely need to make the best of this book (and any other publication like it) is time and dedication. Claire shows you how to set up all the tools - you need to deploy them and you need to do so consistently with Claire's advice on content and target markets always in your mind.

The book is well written and easy to follow. Claire uses the generic "Author Extraordinaire" to address you at times and I found this a wee bit wearing toward the end. But that's a subjective comment - some might well relish that AE honorific!

In summary, If you dislike straight-talking and hard work, buy another book. If you're happy to dig in and persevere, you'll be glad to have Claire's book by your side as you work toward making yours a success.

As a side-note: Claire set up our website and is proofing all our books (I'm a co-author). She's also offering us nuggets of marketing advice. She tells you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear - a pretty rare thing in the publishing business, and very valuable imo.

The first book Claire worked on with us, Warned Off, got its first review within 10 days of publication (5 star, happily - on Amazon.com). If you want to see a sample of her website input check [...]

Thanks for reading this far and good luck with your writing career.
Joe

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]