5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tiny Router, 12 Oct. 2012
I wanted to use the router as a repeater, so I can only share my experience about this mode. I was getting a very weak or no Wifi signal from my BT Homehub router (upstairs, front of house) in my kitchen extension (downstairs, back of house). I live in an older house with solid walls. Now I have a very good connection with my Nexus 7 tablet in my kitchen, and can stream video using BBC iPlayer without any problems at all.

I have located my repeater in the middle of the house, and I think its important to ensure that you are getting a good Wifi signal from your main router (the one connected to the internet) at this location.

Thanks to other reviews, I have located the step by step instructions on setting this up (before I bought this). FYI, its FAQ ID: 397 "How to Configure Repeater Mode on TL-WR702N" on the TP Link website. I followed this and had no trouble setting it up. The printed instructions that came with the router is not as clear as the FAQ.

I was a bit confused at first as there is no new SSID when using this in the repeater mode. Its just repeating the main router. To test its working, I went into my kitchen, and told my Nexus 7 tablet to "forget" the connection to my main router. Then I ask it to search for Wifi connections and the SSID of my main router showed up but with a much stronger signal. After I entered my passkey (for my main router), I was connected to the internet. Now, when I move around the house the tablet just seems to pick up a good signal in every room :)

The router is well protected in the manufacturer's box, but not excessive. It came with an USB power adaptor. The power cable is a bit short, so you may want to get a longer one if you want to locate your repeater higher than a metre about your mains socket. There is also a short flat and quite flexiable ethernet cable which would be good for client mode operation? There is also a mini "resource" CD, which I have not touched.

I would recommend this to my friends.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Sep 2013 20:49:45 BDT
Hector says:
Very helpful thanks. I agree poor instructions. But FAQ ID: 397 "How to Configure Repeater Mode on TL-WR702N" on the TP Link appears to have made it work.

For anyone out there like me on BT HomeHub, it is WPA security.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2013 00:20:53 GMT
Hana says:
ah!! thank you so much!!!
your comment saved me! and for the first time ever i have full bars in my room! (which is at the back of the house upstairs and the main router is downstairs at the front of the house)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2013 08:12:19 GMT
Hector says:
mine stopped working after 10 days. I have bought a BT extender; excellent so far

Posted on 24 Jan 2014 09:32:22 GMT
A Powell says:
How is it now? It seems that many of these work for a while and then just stop working altogether. Are you still getting the same good signal? Thanks

Posted on 3 Mar 2014 22:15:12 GMT
lovethewatch says:
Please help guys I'm 2 seconds away from
Sending this back .I just can't get it to connect.
I want it for my son to extend our wifi signel in this bedroom
Anyone with some answer s my email is munkey2000@hotmail.co.uk. thanks

Posted on 25 Mar 2014 18:24:59 GMT
Streaky says:
But for this link to ID 397 I'd be flannelling around still! One hour in and I am all done - set up as a repeater in my house. I have bookmarked the relevant page on TP-LINK as I am dreading trying to set it up as a router in a hotel room jet-lagged somewhere on the other side of the world!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›