61 of 65 people found the following review helpful
Works perfect out of the box,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WA901ND Advanced 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point (Personal Computers)
The TPLink TL-WA901ND Wireless N Access Point completely fixed the problems i was having.
1. i had a dead zone in my kitchen where the signal was was poor and dropped out often
2. Transferring data over wifi to my Synology DiskStation NAS box was also poor (sub 100kbps)
i bought the tp-link TL-WA901ND in the hope that it would fix these issues and it does. I figured that if the repeater function didn't work very well with my Netgear DG834Gv1 then i'd just disable the wifi on the Netgear and use the TPLink AP instead.
Once the TPLink AP arrived i tried enabling it as a repeater, which while boosted the signal in the kitchen i was still getting poor transfer speeds to the NAS box; still sub 100kbps. No good for streaming music to the kitchen let alone video.
I then disabled the AP functionality on my Netgear, plugged in the TPLink and set up it as an AP. I put the TPlink next to my Netgear so i could get a like-for-like comparison of signal strength and speed. The dead spot in my kitchen has now gone and transfer speeds to my NAS box has improved dramatically. I am now getting over 2.5mbps using my laptop which only has a G card in.
All i need to do now is tidy up the cabling to keep the missus happy :)
- lan to TPLink TL-SG1005D Gigabit switch in the office
- lan to TPLink TL-WA901ND Access Point
- lan to Belkin 100mbps switch in living room
TPLink TL-SG1005D Gigabit Switch connections (office)
- Synology NAS
- laptop 1
- laptop 2
belkin 100mbps switch (living room)
- xbox 360
- laptop (for iplayer etc)
further things to note
- The plug on my unit is a UK one and not a Euro one (as i have read for other AP products provided by TPLink).
- i set up my network to run on 192.168.1.xxx to make setting up easier before the AP arrived.
- i am not a network expert. I work in IT but i deliver software solutions
- it's taken me longer to write this review than it took me to set up!
- testing was done in the "dead" zone
--- speed testing done by file copying before and after
--- signal testing done using Network Signal Info for Andriod before and after