6 of 8 people found the following review helpful
Sequel 101 (Get this on to PC dammit!!!!),
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
When it comes to making a fitfth installation of a game the best so far, rockstar writes the book on it. After all it is not all genres that generate the more excitement than it did when it was kicking ass 10 (yes ten) years ago. If we look at the Halos, The CODs even the battlefields we can see interest waining as the feeling of deja vu comes again and again. But yet GTA 5 seems immune to this, and it is no coincedence the developers have displayed another master class, and I will explain why.
I won't bother with the stero typical review, its all probably been done a hundred times over, all i will concentrate on is how RS has kept gamer coming back for more.!!
1. Building on foundations - Many condemn gta 4 to being a step back compared to SA as it was completely stripped down in comparison. I do not... San Andreas was an end of an era and an end of a generation, GT4 was a rebuilding of this in two key areas a. A new graphics and physics engine that needed to be be built and tested in small scale. b. The online system, a new entity in the GTA world and something that has to definitely be handled smaller before going large.
GTA 5 has used the GT4 foundations to build a behemoth. They have improved on practically every aspect. The scale of the game, the shooting physics, the driving physics and yes the online play.
Basically they have learnt there lesson on everything before and showed maturity in listening to what people feedback.
2. Using a wining formula - It is no coincidence GTA is the leading selling game EVER. it has happened before and it was exactly the same thing.... San Andreas... this was also the highest sold game at that time and it was exactly the same formula, Massive title released at the end of a consoles life (for maximum penetration). Both title offered everything its direct predessesors did and much much more.
3. Pain staking detail - This GTA world is not vibrant... it is literally alive, stand around a busy junction doing nothing for half an hour and youll see a torrent of comical events. Robberies, car jacking, police arrest and yes people having a hysterical and random conversations, I even got hit on the pavement by a hit and run.
Watch the sun set and youll see your shadow move with the sunlight, and the street lights flicker on with brilliant lighting effect. Graphics is not perfect as pop up aliasing still occurs but hey, it really squeezing the most out of this old machine.
4. Non spaming the franchise - Rockstar in most part does two things differently with there franchise than the CODS, Saints row etc. And those are not to flood the market with their franchise game and ensuring that what they do release is 100% quality.
In the age of DLC being used to finish off mediocre franchise releases since developers are under time frame pressure Roackstar take a step back, tell their publishers to stick there deadlines where the sun doesnt shine and go about making the best game they possibly can, if only more people did this gaming would be in a much better place.
5. Doing something new - Well the heist element of the game the game is actually not new, it is something that came from the vegas robbery heist in San Andreas. But now it has been brought to the fore front. And what a fantastic thing too. There is nothing better than putting a plan together for it to culminate into a perfectly executed master plan. The system of choices (whether you choose the crap working colleagues that will mess up or the good ones that won't) is slightly too simplistic but the overall issue is fantastic.
SO other developer, get your pen out and take note. If you want your franchise to still generate the hype it had from before then this is how to do it. Its not rocket science, it is just simple things done well and love poured into the work.