1.0 out of 5 stars We just never got on really..., 5 April 2011
This review is from: Dyson DC 29 Staubsauger Allergy titan/silber (Kitchen & Home)
Six months ago I decided to join the rest of you in the 21st century and put in nice new wood floors (no, not pictures of wood but real wood). To protect this sizable investment, I wanted the best vacuum cleaner money could buy. My sister-in-law recommended the Dyson DC 29 Allergy Parquet. Since she's a woman who knows her way round a toolbox, I took her advice and sprung for it.

So how did I get on? Well, I'm the kind of guy who talks to his various machines (possibly because I get no lip back from them). And I quickly found myself cooing to the Dyson sweet nothings like "Get out of the way, you stupid %$*&@ machine." Or sometimes "Come ON, you dumb &*!#@!"

Yes, we have THAT kind of relationship. Because vacuuming with this machine is like dragging round a sulky, seriously overweight, disfunctional Dalek child who can't walk in a straight line and keeps bumping into the walls and furniture.

Vacuuming is never the greatest of pleasures but doing it with this machine is a real chore. I hate this monster. The hose is too short. It's so short that you better really love vacuuming in a forward direction only because if you step backwards, your backside is gonna get intimate with the floor in a hurry. Because this monster is right at your heels. Seriously, this is a particularly dangerous flaw for people with osteoporosis.

The parking system looks like an afterthought that was designed by two near-sighted people who communicated by semaphore across the Dyson campus, so different looking are the "plug" and "socket." And it's a disaster anyway because the machine falls over more often than not if the tube is parked and you remove the dust collector for emptying. Leaving a nice dent in your expensive floor.

And speaking of dents in expensive floors, whenever this idiot machine noses into a wall or a settee, which is ALL the time, or whenever it has trouble negotiating passage over its own power cable, which is also ALL the time, whatever you do, DON'T give it an impatient yank. Because it will rear up on its two, well, rear wheels and the front castor will come down hard on your nice new floor. Leaving a nice new dent.

When I first got this machine I was seriously impressed by the noise of dirt I couldn't even see rattling up the tube. Nope. The floor tool's wheels make those impressive plinky-plink noises. I feel cheated.

There's no doubt that the technology that went into this machine is state of the art and I have to hand it to Mr. Dyson. But no bananas for the monkeys that designed the rest of it.

It sits in my toolshed now, sulking. A new Miele has taken its place. My tormented floors know peace again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Nov 2011 07:28:12 GMT
Janez says:
great review, thanks! I was just about to buy this wonder, decided on Miele instead. The guy selling vacuum cleaners agreed with your description.
And congratulations for your writing, enjoyed reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 16:40:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Aug 2013 16:42:11 BDT
A. E says:
I have an older dyson luckily it broke before the base would touch the ground, i read about someone saying so, so i checked my dyson and can confirm the wheels now are little looser, so if it would have been working most probably i would have a scratched floor. I checked this version in the shop not alu tube and more room between wheels and base but a big knob that seems to be very close to the floor. Thanks for a great review. I bought electrolux ultraone mini. Still some drawbacks. Like not being able to lower it straight when vacuuming under sofa, you will need to put it sideways. So it means one must go down on knee to not bump it in the walls and the legs of the sofa. And no suction trigger so one must use the control to lower to 1. Maybe that would raise the sound so they skipped it. I wish they did a better head so one does not need to take it sideways and stand on knee. The plus is the noise and the weight only 4.6 kg.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

1.0 out of 5 stars (1 customer review)

Out of stock