5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser quality of build - sound - and bluetooth and noise cancelling as it should be done, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 450 Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headset (Electronics)
I bought these after looking at some of the reviews online - and looking for a good set of portable over the ear headphones which could be used as a handsfree.
I have some experience with good quality headphones - having extensively used Shure 530PTH in ear headphones, Dr Dre Studios and others over the years. My experience with these is without the optional USB dongle.

Sound Quality - Good bass and Treble response. Not as punchy as Shures or Dr Dre monster Beats - but good travel set. Comes with a minijack lead if you want to use wires - the sound quality to my ear is identical. There is a USB dongle optional extra that may improve sound quality when paired with an iphone/ipod dongle.

Construction - Sturdy - Durable - Much more so than the Dr Dre Monster Beats. Excellent build

Bluetooth - Easy pairing. iPhone 3GS and 3G users note - without the optional USB dongle you cant control tracks with the headphones. But can control volume. I believe that this is a limitation of Apple's implementation of bluetooth but it does make it frustrating to use them in that to change tracks, playlists you have to still use the iPhone.

Call-handling - no complaints at either end - the microphone seems to work fine.

Noise Cancelling - Uses the second generation of Sennheiser's noise cancelling technology - Noiseguard 2. Also seen in the PXC450s over hear Sennheisers (which I find too bulky and unwieldy). Noise cancelling is frankly not as good as the Bose QC 15 phones nor the QC 3s which are similarly on-ear. Nor is it on a par with the Sony 500NCDs. Its ok. It does limit the ambient noise of say a jet engine or airconditioner at work. It doesnt handle noise like that of a metro/tube station. Its better than the Dres.

Power use - It uses the replaceable Sennheiser BA 310 PX battery - its just that you cant actually buy one yet - which is kind of stupid. With bluetooth on and noise-cancelling it'll last 8 hours. I haven't tried it without because frankly - why would you bother?? There is an optional USB dongle that supposedly improves sound quality and improves power.

Overall - Excellent. If your use is for lots of travelling - its an excellent compromise of sound quality, bluetooth, noise cancelling and voice call handling. But - it is a compromise - and get a spare battery if you can locate one...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Jan 2010 23:49:16 GMT
jimi/jimmy says:
Hi, dot know if you will be notified of this comment. If you are please could you help me in telling me how the headphones pick up the sound? I only want ones that can pick up my ipod that is in my pocket and my guitar amp (that has a headphone adapter thing for the output) Would these headphones work with these things or do they only work with bluetooth devices such as iphones or laptops? If you can answer please email me at james_vandyk@hotmail.com Thankyou!

Posted on 20 Jan 2010 23:58:32 GMT
jimi/jimmy says:
Hi, dont know if you will be notified of this comment. If you are please could you help me in telling me how the headphones pick up the sound? I only want ones that can pick up my ipod that is in my pocket and my guitar amp (that has a headphone adapter thing for the output) Would these headphones work with these things or do they only work with bluetooth devices such as iphones or laptops? If you can answer please email me at james_vandyk@hotmail.com Thankyou!

Posted on 10 Mar 2010 19:13:26 GMT
The battery is actually BA 370 PX (530695), and the price should (at time of writing) be around 15 or 16. I agree that it could be worth looking for, especially if you use both Bluetooth and Noise Guard at the same time...

Posted on 17 May 2010 10:53:13 BDT
C. Campbell says:
Hi, I read on a review that when using the wire instead of the bluetooth, you cannot use the built-in mic on the headphone. Instead you need to hold your mobile phone to your mouth for talking. Could you please confirm this assuming you are notified with this comment. Thanks alot.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2011 19:40:37 GMT
That is correct: The supplied wire is a plain 3.5 mm mini jack for stereo sound. When you plug the wire into the headset, Bluetooth is disabled.

At work I usually use the headset as a plain wired headset attached to my PC, usually with Noise Guard on. When I use the headset with my phone, I usually use Bluetooth and Noise Guard when listening to music or pod casts. I would rarely use the headset with a wire in my phone. I have occasionally used the headset to listen to music using A2DP (HiFi Bluetooth) from my PC while also being connected to my phone in case I got a call...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (32 customer reviews)

Out of stock