5.0 out of 5 stars An all singing all dancing region 2 release please!!!!, 14 Sep 2008
This review is from: Nightbreed [DVD] [1990] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
Ok, let's get the obvious said first: This film is not a patch on the original novel (Cabal); Clive Barker's cut was not released but a hastily re-edited version which gives away too much too soon and some of the acting is pretty poor but....I Love This Film! I don't even own a VHS player anymore but i still have this on video because I refuse to not have it.

For the reasons above this film is not a masterpiece and i freely admit it's five star rating is solely down to a peculiar fondeness I have for it.

Something about it got under my skin years ago and never let go. I think it's the mythology it creates - the concept of Midian enchants me - married to some awesome design (creatures and sets) and a typically stunning lates 80's Elfman score.

It's a marmite film, lots of people have hated it but many share my belief that it's a lost gem, worthy of a cult following.

It's a film that screamed SEQUEL too (as does the book btw). The ending really lends itself to continuation as it does not conclude the story completely.

What is soooo annoying it that there is region two release planned at present. We live in a world where you can buy the Nic Cage Wicker Man and Battlefiled Earth on DVD but not this?!?! There is certainly something amiss here.

I for one ask that the rights holders grantme a wish and release a full on special edition. Preferably incusive of Cliver Barkers original cut, which I am certain will be even better and may well keep the books darker ending, as well as the film i loved as a spotty teen. A full making of with tons of details about the set creation and monster creation would be great too.

Any chance???!?!!?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 May 2009 13:56:00 BDT
Mouthpiece says:
agreed. how do we get this released? petition? riot?

Posted on 24 Oct 2011 23:14:41 BDT
This is also one of my favourite films, luckily I did record it off tv onto dvd, which will have to suffice until a R2 comes out.

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 16:35:43 GMT
A. Rodgers says:
Thank you for a review which says it all. Now I don't have to write one myself

Posted on 13 Aug 2012 13:53:35 BDT
M. Turner says:
There is a petition for miramax to release a full uncut version, 156 minutes. Just google occupy midian. Also coming to cinemas in a limited release.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2012 18:50:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Aug 2012 18:51:48 BDT
Grr says:
Thanks M.Turner - I have already booked to see the screening in Winchester and am very , very excited about it!

Yes, signed that petition a while ago but good to bring it to people attention here! Cheers for thinking of it.

People, please go www.occupymidian.com and get signing!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2013 23:27:11 BDT
dethh says:
I went to see it at the Lake District a couple of months back and thought it was great. I am also involved in getting the last screening of The Cabal Cut in the UK in my hometown (Darlington, May 8th @ 8pm with Russell Cherrington, Hugh Roass, Nicolas Vince and Simon Bamford - and yes I did shamelessly plug it :) ). You may have noticed I said last screening, what I didn't mention is that it is the last screening in the UK before it is released on Blu-ray. There is no actual date yet, but it is finally getting released.....happy days :)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2013 17:34:51 BDT
Grr says:
A Blu Ray release?! Is this confirmed? Brilliant news if it is and thanks for sharing!! Hope your screening goes well - I'm afraid Darlington is a bit too far for me!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 10:54:45 BDT
J. Spencer says:
Darlington? Fantastic, I moved oop North to Durham last year! Where is it being shown and are tickets still available?

Posted on 3 Jul 2014 13:10:08 BDT
Yes! It is finally happening - the Director's Cut has just been announced for a DVD and Blu-ray release. Finally!!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2014 20:43:43 BDT
Please give me a link!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (35 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 7.95