3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the novice or impatient!, 6 Jan 2011
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WA730RE 150Mbps Wireless N Range Extender (Accessory)
I agree with M. Paul - Out of the box, the extender didn't function on my protected network (it may be OK on unprotected ones, but who has those nowadays!!??). I too flashed the new firmware, and I still wan't sure that the thing was working. Came back to it the following day, reset the extender and started from scratch with the new firmware and eventually I can see an improvement.
It was a concern that when I switched off the power to the extender, it lost settings, but it only did that once, so hopefully it was only a minor glitch.
Ignore the blurb about one-button set up - that's only for unprotected networks.
As mentioned, you need to modify your PC's IP address to set the extender up using the CD supplied (tough if you have a netbook with no CD drive!), otherwise your PC won't "see" the extender. You only get to know that if you look at the User Manual on the aforementioned CD. The Quick Start Guide doesn't mention this.
When you do get it set up, you need to go into the web based browser and interrogate the unit to check it has altered the region to UK - mine remained on USA until I manually changed it.

If you're a novice, technophobe or impatient, then don't buy this. I have a little experience in setting up networks, and I was getting to the point of sending this back. Perseverence overcame this, and, for the past couple of hours at least, it has been working well.

Three year warranty too. Hope I don't need it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 May 2011 16:54:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jun 2013 16:35:01 BDT
Tim says:
I can totally agree with everything Seupr has said - but I would be interested to know what happened after those first couple of hours - I got the same success after the same frustrations - but then the next day it didn't work again! I'm trying to get it to extend a BT HomeHub 2.0 and getting increasingly frustrated - Not sure if my patience will last out!

29_06_2013 I would just like to add that although it did take some patience to set up - it has worked flawlessly ever since. So a happy ending!

Posted on 23 Oct 2011 08:11:40 BDT
Andy Moorley says:
It's clear things have got a LOT better since this review was written. The unit I bought in Sept 2011 did not have any of these problems.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2013 02:41:04 BDT
I was wondering if this might be the case. I was considering getting one and hoped that a few years after that review things might have improved.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (749 customer reviews)

14.03