5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Surprise In Small Packaging, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sony BDPS4100 Smart 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (Electronics)
Well I must admit that as a rule things that come this cheap I would not even bother with, but having read many reviews for the Sony BDP-S4100 and not having the amount of cash (which was 3 to 4 times the price I paid for this here on Amazon) for my last Blu Ray Player the Sony BDP-S550. I have to say I am most impressed.

My biggest fear buying a low price budget player in comparison to my old one you would think would be of more quality, was not getting the right features in the settings for my needs for use with my AV Receiver. You always tend to get something amiss.

One could even perhaps argue the point of the build quality but in all honesty though the BDP-S4100 is puny in size in comparison to the BDP-S550 they are both made out of plastic. The only real advantage the S550 had in that department would be its remote control, and that perhaps more quality to it than the both of these players put together.

There are many extra features the S4100 has over the S550 and granted technology as moved on in leaps of bounds since that old dinosaur such as 3D for instance. But to be honest that was not my reason for wanting to update my Blu Ray Player, and I do not have a 3D TV.

My main reason for getting the S4100 was because it can play SACD's which the more expensive and prehistoric S550 cannot. The other thing that was really getting me annoyed with my old S550 was the amount of time it would take to load a Blu Ray Disc. Honestly some of the discs you could put in the machine go out and make a cup of tea and still the thing had not loaded.

Even Sony's so called live firmware updates that stated it improves disc loading times had not done a thing to rectify it, and as all players get older no new updates would no longer be available for it. Cause as with all machines including new ones today, as they get older the company will simply push them to one side as if they are no longer working any more, and cease to do any more updates, and concentrate on their latest products.

Now for my review of the Sony BDP-S4100.

Since purchasing this product for some 69 here from Amazon and setting it up. I can honestly say this machine outstrips the Sony BDP-S550 by miles. It loads Blu Ray discs instantly as if they was DVD's that's how fast it is. Picture quality is as good as any Blu Ray Player I have seen. The sound quality is still fantastic I get from my AV Receiver and I am totally gobsmacked of the quality you get in such a little plastic box.

I have to say at this price it's remarkable and one has to wonder if your getting anything better by laying out solid cash for an Oppo which I would consider a great top end product, but as with anything expensive it can still break down and become nothing more than expensive nightmare to replace.

Here what Sony have done is give you genuine real quality at a real affordable and comfortable price, and if it does break down in a couple of years, you certainly would have had your money's worth and at this price it so easy to replace.

At the end of the day looks are not everything, it's what's inside and works that counts, and though this product is very small it's still a bit stylish and with what's inside it, I can honestly say it's got class. For me it's got to be one of the most outstanding products Sony have ever made at this price.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]