2.0 out of 5 stars not ready, buggy, and poor, 1 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Times and Sunday Times (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
Given the updates to the app I am updating this review. The good news is many of the bugs I mentioned in my original review have been fixed. (Notably the endless requests to sign up for the trial subscription). However, and it is a big however this is still a very poor offering and the team behind the app have a lot to do and we the consumer deserve better. Specifically:

1. The app doesn't use Whispernet and there is not obvious way to download the latest edition of the newspaper. It is a simple enough scenario - I want to turn on my Kindly Fire HD and either (a) see that morning newspaper or (b) press a button in the app to download now. Instead I'm left loading other apps (to flush the Time app from memory) or turning off the Kindle (again to unload the Times app from memory) or waiting in vain if these fail for the app to recognize todays paper has been published.

2. The app still crashes a lot - the only app ever to crash on my Kindle. "Asphalt 7 has stopped working". I don't care and I don't want to see the error.

3. I want to be able to select how the download works. At the moment the text arrives first and the pictures follow. Makes sense to a developer sat in the office but not to me rushing out the door to catch a train, without the images this is a poor experience. I should be able to select if the pictures `lazy load'. I also want to be able to configure which sections download as standard. On a Sunday morning I have to download each section of the Sunday Times separately. !? Believe it or not I do have other things to do on a Sunday.

4. When you write to me in the app telling me about updates please don't insult me by talking about the about on my iPad. I don't have an iPad I have a Kindle. Just plain lazy behaviour and we're not all Apple devotees.

5. It is still too expensive compared with other subscriptions for the same content on other platforms. Don't treat me like a hostage.

I am pretty close to giving up on this and the Times & Sunday Times. Badly done, lazy implementation and expensive. The device deserves better, but it is paying customers who really deserve more.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]