2.0 out of 5 stars I'm Not Angry, I'm Just Disapointed...Wait! No, I'm Angry Too, 20 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Fallen Angels (The Horus Heresy) (Paperback)
I have just finished this latest instalment of the Horus Heresy and I have to be honest and say that I was not really amused. I will warn you that sadly this is one of those rather scathing review, but please do read on as I only want to lower your expectations in the hope you enjoy it more than I did and I won't put in any major spoilers.
The first thing I have to say is that on the whole I really do not think this was written well enough when it is sitting shoulder to shoulder with some of the other books in the series, which are sensational. The first three books blew my mind and had me emotionally ensnared and excited from the first word. After this the quality has fluctuated a little, as well as the genuine interest of the story (I'm thinking Mechanicum), but overall there has been a lot of very good writing. In comparison this just felt very flat and plodding with every piece of exposition simply told to the reader rather than immersing them in the action and lives of the Astartes.

I fell in love with Loken and Tarvitz and Garro in the previous books and even felt a great deal of empathy and interest in so many of the other Space Marines and Primarch's. I even cried like a baby at the end of Galaxy In Flames and my head literally (alright) exploded when I listened to Raven's Flight and Garro: Legion Of One (if you have yet to hear the exclusive audiobooks sort your life out now and please don't say they are too short). Sadly, in this there was barely anything to make you have any feeling for any of the characters except in the most extreme of circumstances. I think I felt the greatest emotional involvement with Governer Kulik who was barely involved, especially when considering we have already had a book about Zaheriel and Nemiel already (which was much better).

It was rather interesting to learn a bit more about the Dark Angels, but again there is still clearly a lot more to come. Learning a bit more about Cypher was good though. However, the interest of the dual narrative was not very well balanced and one feels decidedly stretched to allow for alternate chapters.

This review is probably a little unfair, but the Black Library has such a high standard of writing and it really is a shame to not feel that immediacy and excitement I have come to expect from the Horus Heresy. I'm sure if this was the first Horus book I think I would have loved it, but Dan Abnett and Graham McNeil set the bar incredibly high. The prospect of better books spurred me to plough through this. Let's hope that A Thousand Sons is better. Let's face it, it's going to be.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Jun 2013 12:50:01 BDT
mr s a wake i completly agree with you the 1st 3 books were amazing, how bad you feel knowing horus was going to turn bad but still waishing he wont because how good and honourable a leader he is. Although i have to say that thousand sons was just as good with how emoyionally attached you feel towards the characters, i actually had a lump in my throat when magnus knew how much he hurt the emporer ( beloved by all) and knew that his legion were done for.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (38 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £0.01