5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom 750, 21 May 2011
This review is from: TomTom GO LIVE 750 Sat Nav (Electronics)
Hi, Like many people I have just been through the mill with regard to buying a new Satnav. For the past five years I've been happily using my TomTom Go 300 on a fairly old map but with so many advances in technology and the high price of maps, there comes a time (usually just after some birthday money comes your way) that you make the excuse to update and start searching for the best option.

It was April of 2011 when I started my search, the new go live range was in the shops but much to expensive for my pocket, ranging from £250 for the 1000 regional to £300 for the top of the range 1005 Europe. Someone had told me that the features available on this range had been reduced and that there isn't an SD card slot anymore, they do however sport a 4gb internal memory which is more than enough to take the latest maps and all those little extra's like voices and map colours, however the cost alone made me continue my research.

My wife had recently bought an XL Live IQ routes so I had a look at the spec and was surprised to find that it only has a 2GB internal memory and NO SD slot. Knowing that the latest map size is 2.23GB I started visiting various online TomTom forums where people, like me, were asking why this product was still being retailed with such a small internal memory and why they had "penny pinched" by removing the card slot.

The next thing I did was to visit the TomTom Outlet Store on their website. Here you're presented with a list refurbished satnav's at reduced prices and as I'm interested in driving down to the Med, I need something with Europe on it. I notice that the GO 50 range have a micro SD card slot which could get me out of problems in the future but only the 750 live has 2GB of internal memory (The 550 and 530 having 1GB onboard and a micro SD slot).

At this point I start investigating the TomTom GO 750 live and read everything I can on it. Its features are quite remarkable with Live services, voice control, hands free kit, HD traffic, Speed Camera's, map-share and an active dock which is sadly missing from the XL range. Every forum I go to say's it's a good buy but it comes with a warning. When you first connect it to TomTom Home Always perform a "Backup" first. I will go into this later.

I make my decision avoiding the Live range because of cost and the XL range because of no SD card slot and small internal memory. The Start range (and others) don't offer me what the 750 can so I place my order and count the days until it turns up.

The Post van arrived quite quickly and I had to temper my enthusiasm in my rush to check it out. After connecting it to my laptop and selecting Don't connect to computer ( because it charges faster ), I left it to charge for a couple of hours. Once fully charged the orange light next to the On/Off button turns green and I install it into my car for it's first test drive. Everything about this device impresses me. Firstly the Active docking system is so easy and my treasured new arrival clicked firmly into place. The verbal instructions are better, in that it reads out the road names (if they have any) and the onboard speaker is good and clear. You do have the option to use your hifi via a radio link or a hard wire but I prefer the onboard speaker , Live services work flawlessly giving me fuel prices, weather reports, HD Traffic, Safety Alerts and the Google search found all my little test questions... Fish and chips, cinema, supermarket.. and so on. Then you can set these as favourites and request to navigate to them verbally. In order to use the voice command, you first have to touch the microphone icon on the screen. This means that you need to mount the thing close to you, my windscreen is quite far forward so I need to mount it on the dash. Unfortunately it starts making errors when the radio's on but with my hifi volume control on the steering wheel, it's no effort to turn the sound down first. One nice little touch is that you can choose your own start up preferences, which, when switching on, will give you a screen of those destinations you go to frequently. One would think that you already know the way to work and to your daughters house but hey-ho... maybe you're approaching from another direction.

I'm lucky in that my car has it's own Bluetooth hands free system however the one in the 750 enables my wife to also speak hands free and we no longer have to keep swapping who's phone is connected to the car, depending on who's driving.

Ok... now comes the tricky bit... updating the map and initiating the Micro SD card. You cannot write to any old card and there is a procedure that you have to follow to enable it. For reasons of speed, the maximum size that this device will look at is 4GB. I am using an 8GB Class 6Transcend SDHC Micro card (because it was recommended) but only the first 4GB are looked at.

You are now going to connect to TomTom Home and you must first select "Backup" This is vital as if anything goes wrong you will lose your map and TomTom will say that it's software and therefore is not covered by the guarantee.

Before and I repeat... Before inserting any Micro SD cards, you must back up your TomTom using the "Back up and Restore" function on the second page of TomTom Home.

To initiate the Micro SD card, you must then disconnect the TomTom (I also powered down) insert the Micro SD card into the slot in the base of the 750, switch on and reconnect to TomTom Home. A box will appear asking which drive to use and although they are both indicated as Internal drives you should be able to identify which one by available memory (another good reason for using an 8GB card). Select the SD card to accept the download. This box then disappears and you must then initiate the Micro SD card by pressing "Restore". The map is then restored to the card and once done, your Micro SD card is fully functional.

You would think that the instructions above would be on the first page of the manual... but you would be wrong and although I was pre-warned with regard to backing it up (Thank God), I blindly inserted the micro SD card and searched for how to download my free map update. Eventually I clicked on [Tools] and [Use Latest Map Guarantee] I had selected the SD card for the target and after an hour long download I disconnected from the computer, rebooted and found that it locked up on the first screen. I looked at my 750 as a drive on my computer, to find that It had not downloaded to the card, the onboard memory was full and it had written something to the card but it might as well be empty as no amount of rebooting would solve the situation... By this time my mood could be described as " somewhat stressed" and after a large brandy, I reconnected to TomTom Home and performed a backup which got things working again, I then discovered that I still had problems as some functions would lock up so I did a factory reset which finally got things back to normal.

Several days went by before I had plucked up the nerve to try another map update but in the interim I discovered that I had not lost my free update as it was stored on my pc in :Documents\TomTom\Home\Download. Now... I find a link in TomTom Home which takes me to a page describing how to initiate the micro SD card. Anyway I follow these instructions as given above in the paragraph that starts "OK now comes the tricky bit" and all is well. I am now using the latest map.

Two weeks have passed and I am delighted with my 750 so I try to import my phone book to discover that this function is not available on my LG Viewty. The only way to do this is to once again connect to TomTom Home and, using your browser, [Start] [Computer][TomTom] and click on the fifth file down "Contacts". This will open the folder and you should look for a text file also called "contacts". If there isn't one (and there wasn't on mine), right click on an empty part of the page and select [New] [Text Document] and name it " Contacts". Clicking on this will open a notepad and your phone numbers can be entered in the following format.

"Tony","07736632691",M,"DEFAULT"
"Jane","0292460312",H,"DEFAULT"
"Boss","0123456789",W,"DEFAULT"

M = Mobile, H = Home and W = Work. Don't forget to save at the end.

Now when you select your [mobile phone] [Call][Phonebook Entry] icons on your 750 you will be presented with your phone book. You can also touch the "Microphone" icon on the screen and simply say "Call" This will again show your phone book and you can initiate the call by either saying the persons name or their list number. Apart from touching the screen once it is totally hands free.

This is a brilliant product but with poor documentation. If only TomTom would spend a little money and produce a comprehensive hand book.. however once you have mastered the above, I think you will agree that it's worth every penny.
Regards and safe driving