1.0 out of 5 stars Great album but really bad remix, 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Audio CD)
I'm a big a fan of Peter Gabriel era Genesis and this album ranks as one of my all time favourites by ANY band not just by Genesis but this edition has pretty much got me fuming because of what has been done to my beloved.

I own the vinyl and CD copies from way back and I've listened to this album so many times in the past you just end up knowing every part of each song and I was really looking forward to hearing this edition. My hopes were not only dashed but completely ground to dust by the the so called 'work' done on this. Some parts have been completely removed whilst others have been added where before there was nothing. I was expecting an improvement, even if minimal but this version is completely abysmal IMO. I just can't believe that the members of Genesis care this little about their back catalogue to allow this to happen.

So, in summary - fantastic album but ruined but someone who's name I haven't even been bothered to learn but anyway GREAT JOB but really - perhaps it's time to find another one.

Not impressed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Mar 2012 16:36:10 GMT
S. C. Trump says:
I too was unimpressed. Luckily I borrowed this from my local library so will be hanging on to my 1994 'Definitive' remaster a little longer.

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 22:46:22 BDT
Thanks for the review. Sorry you wasted your money but - some consolation - I'm sure you've saved many others from the same fate, including me. You're right about how strange that the band could allow this to be done to their music; apparently there's a remastered version of Nursery Cryme on which each song merges into the next one. Sheesh..

Posted on 29 Nov 2012 03:38:47 GMT
Thanks for this review and for saving my money from being wasted. I cannot believe that parts have been removed but as you say when you have played your favourite albums over and over again for a few decades you know what you are talking about. It is the newer fans that I feel sorry for that have not heard the original and do not know any better. If they read reviews like this it might make them explore further and find a better version. Shame on members of Genesis past and present who obviously do not care to get involved but who I am sure will take the royalties with no problem.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2013 16:34:40 BDT
Savita says:
Surely this is actually illegal. It is being sold as a remaster when it is actually a remix. Maybe the ASA should have a go at them

Posted on 5 Nov 2014 09:38:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2014 09:40:28 GMT
AlexM says:
Thank you very much for your review; I was all set to order this, but now I know to go after an earlier version. I have this on vinyl and would have been infuriated to discover parts missing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›