5.0 out of 5 stars Only men's knitting-pattern book you'll ever need, 12 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Knits Men Want: The 10 Rules Every Woman Should Know Before Knitting for a Man Plus the Only 10 Patterns She'll Ever Need (Stc Craft) (Paperback)
Length:: 3:32 Mins

I made this video because when I buy a book I want to know what patterns are in it. Many times I have bought a knitting book on the strength of the cover photo, only to find that the other patterns aren't to my fancy so that effectively I have just paid the book price for one pattern. I happen to like every single pattern in the book, and because I sometimes spin my own yarns too, the fact that the patterns are given in different gauges is ideal for me. Also having lots of different sizes and gauges means that the book won't go out of date because you don't have to worry about getting hold of a specific yarn, and you may be able to use up some of your yarn stash too. The layout is clear, the book is well written without being over wordy and the patterns are excellent. What more could you ask for? Sorry that I am a bit dithery in the video - I am not used to it - but you can get the idea.
What I didn't say in the video is that the sizes for the jumpers, hoodie and cardigan are for 40, 44, 48, 52, 56 and 60 inch chest sizes and there are 5 or more gauges for each style. The socks are for 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14+ sizes and come in 6 gauges; the gloves come in five sizes and 3 gauges, and even the hat comes in three sizes and five gauges which is very unusual and brilliant.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Oct 2010 11:21:01 BDT
Ruglan says:
That was really, really helpful. The first video review I have seen. Thanks for taking the time to make it. I have decided to buy this book.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2010 12:26:38 BDT
Oh good. I shall try to do some more. I reckon if you went in a shop to buy a book you'd flick through it first to check out all the patterns, so that's what I wanted to do here. I think this is one of the best knitting books I have and wanted other people to see how good the patterns are.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2010 03:55:14 GMT
Merna says:
Just to reiterate what the above commenter said - your review was excellent and I thoroughly enjoy it. I haven't made anything for my man yet because I know it would be a case of 'oh..thanks' and he'd wear it out of obligation but not from feeling a desire to wear it.
Now I can see clearly that this book has plenty of patterns that I know the man of the house will wear.
Thank you so much for taking the time to di this video - after seeing how helpful it is, I'm wishing for my own recording device so I can be so helpful!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2010 15:07:31 GMT
Go for it. I have a little Flip video recorder which is great, but a phone would work or similar. I also found I needed a small tripod, which I balanced on a large book, but I got there in the end. Glad the video helped.

Posted on 7 Jan 2011 15:16:02 GMT
N. Roberts says:
How brilliant, Thank you so much for taking the time to make the video review. Its so helpful when trying to decide on which to buy when you cant get out to see it first.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2011 15:42:46 GMT
Oh good, I shall try to do some more.
Thanks

Posted on 11 Feb 2011 10:56:46 GMT
mamillar says:
Great video and really great idea ,wish more people did this for knitting pattern books . Its a bit of a gamble buying without seeing the patterns inside but I think this book would be a good buy.
Thanks again!

Posted on 28 Feb 2011 11:01:03 GMT
Readfiend says:
Thank you for your video review, it has been so helpful! I was looking at buying this book but I wanted to know what the patterns were like and how easy they were to follow, and you have made my mind up that I will buy it!! Thanks again.

Posted on 1 Apr 2011 13:00:08 BDT
DorrieP says:
Thanks for the video. Seeing the patterns is really helpful. I did look at the 'Look Inside' facility but not many of the patterns are illustrated. When we are thinking about buying pattern book, showing most of the patterns would be useful!

Posted on 16 Jul 2011 20:42:36 BDT
Thank you for a brilliant review of this book!! Nice to know the sizes are larger than most UK brands of patterns. You could also put a fancy stitch into them like rice stitch or moss stitch.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

H. B. Hosegoood
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Devon, England