ARRAY(0xb0a12c0c)

4.0 out of 5 stars iPad 2 and three-quarters! Buy from GTR (updated 19th Nov), 24 May 2013
This review is from: BW® Ployer Momo20s - 10.1 Inch Quad Core Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean), IPS SCREEN - 1280 x 800 Resolution; WIFI; QUAD CORE - 4 X CORTEX A7 (4 x 1.2GHz); 8 X PowerVR GPUs; 10 Point Touch Screen, 16GB Storage, 1GB DDR3 Memory, HDMI & 3D Output - New Google Play Installed - Dual Camera 1.3MP Front & 2.0MP Rear Camera's - Flash 11.1 Pre-Installed - All iPlayers and Flash Content Compatible (Personal Computers)
Recieved my tablet yesterday morning from GTR Electronics - fantastic service from them as arrived within 2 days, Chinese apps disabled and a UK user guide provided. I wouldn't recommend buying from anywhere else.

I'm a long time Android user (started on 1.6!) so have no difficulties getting used to how it works and it's nice to have an unskinned Android interface.

My first impressions are:

Wifi - I know some people have had troubles but mine is excellent. My router is stuck behind the telly in a corner of the lounge and I can use the tablet 20/30 feet away through ceilings and a thick stone wall into the kitchen with no problems. Connection once established hasn't dropped to less than 2 bars anywhere in the house.

Performance for general tasks such as Browsing, PDF reading, Gmail, Youtube etc is great - everything is working smoothly and no lagging I can see. It really snaps through web pages.

Screen - very good for the price but not oustanding. I find it is great on pages with a white background and videos are superb but not so good on darker shades - it's a little washed out(this is with the screen turned up to maximum brightness). However as I've used an Ipad Retina screen a lot that's unfair but hard not to compare the IPS screen of the Ployer to it. But for the price I can't fault it really. Having used an Ipad 2 for a few weeks previously this is just as good.

Games - not a serious gamer so can't really comment but simple things like Angry Birds look and run great. I'm sure my 13 year old son will find out a lot more on this front.

Battery - hard to comment yet but I used it on and off for 4 hours yesterday and it was down to 40% charge. I would guess in constant heavy use 4-5 would be the max. I'm quite happy with it.

Connections - haven't tried the USB or HDMI yet so can't comment. Cables all included in the box so will do soon.

Quality / Asthetics - Looks and feels a nice piece of kit. Everything on mine is nicely put together and feels solid. Exception to this is the big ugly charger - I guess that's where the money is saved on these cheap tablets. Charger fits okay into the tablet - needs a firm push in but is fine. I've ordered a generic case for under £10 so we'll see if that fits when it arrives.

Overall - this is a real bargain. In my opinion this is better in every way than an Ipad 2 and is half the price - and buying from GTR I have piece of mind if anything goes wrong.

Go out and buy one! (from GTR).

UPDATE 11/6:

Quick update after 3 weeks. Getting about 8 hours+ usage with normal browsing, music, reading etc.

Wi-fi connection seems to go to sleep when the tablet goes on standby and can take 30 seconds to re-connect when it wakes up but that's not too much of a problem. I've just extended the tablet sleep timing to 30 minutes so it stays awake longer.

Other than that no problems - nothing lags or crashes. Some apps on Google Play not optimised for tablet but that's not the tablet's fault. Most games run well but not hammered it on that front.

Our family has the whole range of tablets from a dirt cheap 7 inch A10 right up to an iPad 4 and I would say this fits in between iPad 2 and iPad 3 territory - not as slick as an iPad 4, better than an iPad 2 and miles ahead of the A10 based 7 incher.

I initially thought screen wasn't so good (when compared to iPad 4) but it's great for browsing and videos.

Got a nice tailor-made case for it which protects it well.

Still very impressed.

Update 21st Aug:

I updated the firmware on my tablet to Android 4.2 last weekend. Whilst there was basically nothing wrong with it before it did have the odd 'not responding' error , the odd app crash and wireless sometimes took a while to start when coming out of sleep mode/starting up.

Since the update I've not had a hint of a crash. It's really a great tablet now - smooth and fast and wireless connections are more or less instant on power on.

I had to re-install my apps for the Google Play Store but that was a minor thing (Google keeps a record of all apps across your devices so this is easy to do).

Definitely recommend doing this if you are experiencing problems. It's not that easy to do though - you need to be a bit techy - for instructions Google Momo 20 and go to the SlateDriod link and you will find help there.

Update 19th Nov: Well 6 months into my ownership and I can safely say still very impressed with this tablet for the price.

With my upgraded 4.2 firmware this is very stable and responsive and rarely has any issues (one or 2 app crashes but nothing more than any Andriod phone I've owned).

I use it every day for browsing, email and Youtube etc and for this sort of thing it's just perfect. It's replaced our in-car DVD player for our 4 year old as it's so much easier having a few movies etc on one device you can just strap to the back of a car seat.

Could it be improved - sure. Bluetooth / GPS would have been nice but I've got that on my phone so not a problem really. Maybe a better screen but then I could have just paid more for a retina class tablet.

Really for less than £150 it's great value and will keep me happy for a while (until a fast 10 inch mainstream retina tablet <£200 comes out).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jun 2013 19:24:12 BDT
Astronaut_63 says:
I also found GTR good at first and based on the good reports here, being UK based and offering 12 months warranty I bought 2 Ployer tablets (7 and 8)
However after 5 months when a common fault occurred with the 7 (microusb separted from board due to poor workmanship) GTR have not responded to any communication (via Amazon, via their website, via direct email)
Now looking at Trading Standards and Small Claims

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2013 09:11:53 BDT
Bald Paul says:
I also bought a previous Ployer tablet from GTR Electronics and my tablet also broke after 6 months (no doubt the same fault that the above suffered). I had exactly the same issue that the seller simply wont respond to any attempt at contact so the 12 month warranty is worthless. Really disappointed too that Amazon are not interested either and simply say that it is over 90 days since I bought it and not covered by the A-Z buying guarantee. In my experience (as I use lots of different tablets as part of my job) the cheap chinese tablets are simply no match for the mainstream ones from Google, Asus, Samsung etc.

So, in summary, AVOID GTR Electronics.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›