4.0 out of 5 stars Has aged remarkably well, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Adventures Of Young Indiana Jones Vol.3 (10-Disc-Set) [DVD] (DVD)
Has aged remarkably well

This review is a combined one for all three seasons of Young Indiana.

I remembered watching some of these as a youth. They sparked a free-spirited ambition in a lot of boys and girls of the era I'm sure. When I saw them on offer at amazon I figured I'd snap them all up to re-live some of my past, being an Indie fan anyway.

Turns out, I'd probably not seen over 50% of the full series as I couldn't remember a lot of it.

Season one sees Indie (Henry Junior) as a boy, played by Cory Carrier, who never really seemed to carry on in acting. His father was talently played by Lloyd Owen who sounds the spit of Sean Connery's depiction in the earlier feature-films, which really helped with the feeling of continuity. Margaret Tyzack rounds out the key characters from my opinion, playing the part of Indie's tutor, Miss Seymour. I don't feel Indie's mother was much of a character and was incidental to most of the series.

During the season, you see him being the insolent youth you expect, perhaps rather big-headed and overly arrogant in his portrayal (perhaps reasons why Cory didn't go on to much more?). They travel from place to place, meeting various important and note-worthy people from that era.

As you enter season 2, Indie quickly ages into the dashing figure of Sean Patrick Flanery, and we see his portrayal through "The War Years" where he progresses up through the ranks in the Belgian Army with his pal Remy. Again, various note-worthy occasions, and the odd dash of archeology, but mostly it's his cheeky mis-adventures through the era that endears. I would say this is my favourite season and contains the episodes that I recalled from my youth.

Finally, we come to season 3 where Indie eventually comes out of the War, yet seems to regress into the shadow of his former pre-war life, struggling to get to grips with a stable career. I half-expected this season to be all about the archeology, but it kind of skits round that point. [spoiler alert!] Remy gets swept aside relatively suddenly like some old sock, and various episodes of this season come across as a bit slap-stick and rather un-fitting of the series as a whole. A bit disappointing really.

On the whole, I really did enjoy the series, although as I have mentioned, it perhaps didn't quite go down the road of archeological exploration that I was perhaps hoping for, and that was certainly encouraged in the first season.

One thing that certainly is a boon in this series on DVD is the wide selection of well-shot documentaries that cover the themes at the time. These are all well worth viewing, and help to lend an educational arm to the series to help you learn a bit more about how some of the stories came to being.
The series has been editted about so that episode merge in the right places to form decent length viewings, and it is all done in a relatively seamless fashion.

Despite it's failings, I would still rate the whole series 5-stars at the price I got it for on amazon (about £9 per season at time of purchase). If you end up paying more, I'd probably drop the rating down to 4-stars, and considering that the current price on amazon is around the £18-19 mark, I'll let it sit at 4 for now.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]