3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but Panasonic policies seriously thumbs down, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Panasonic DMC-TZ25EB-K Compact Camera - Black (12.1MP, 16x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
Have been testing it now for two days only.

1. My key question: does it give you exactly what you see on the screen? Is it WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get). The answer is often yes, but often also NO (in more difficult circumstances). I find this crucial. You see a nice shot in your lcd and then the end result is completely different for some reason (well really many reasons, but most unfounded). I understand this when the flash is activated, but otherwise, I don't see why this should happen in imode, where the camera determines everything itself and without flash. Annoying. Example: have nice warm coloured green plant leaves on my lcd, on the final picture, the light is completely different, now they look greyish. With some fiddling I can get them green, but you can't know by just looking at the preview. I hate that and thought a "smart" camera had finally come.

2. The resulting pictures are however, mostly great. It has a great Leica lens (although this is misleading because it is a Panasonic lens made to Leica standards, well you know that). It really has a massive amount of functions and scene modes, that do mostly what they say they do, but not always equally easy of course (e.g. for panoramic pictures you need to make a full circle in about 8 seconds, but the camera isn't really assisting you in any way), so it fails easily, with the camera commenting that it was too slow or too fast thus no result.. It takes nice night shots, in house is no problem at all, shooting moving objects in shadowy circumstances creates blur though, and not much can be done about it. It doesn't have the right hardware to do that.

3. The movie I made in Highres and then viewed on my 46' home tv simply blew me away. Great picture, superb sound, much better than the shaky examples of film I've seen of the camera. Waw waw waw.That absolutely surprised me positively. I have a separate HD-camera, but this is much better even.

4. I found the ability to edit the pics on the camera quite useful, really makes a difference.

5. The macro and zoom functions are absolutely outstanding. I can shoot a flower from 15 metres away as if I was close by. The stabiliser function makes it pretty sharp. I can also shoot up as close as to nearly touch it, or even touch it, with still nice depth.

So all in all, I find it a pretty great camera FOR THE MONEY. That is the strong point of Lumix/Panasonic: it always sits in the "mass sales" sweet spot for camera's where non professionals want good quality for a reasonable price. It doesn't have much pretense to play in the higher segments, I think. That would all be good, but for the following.

It is too obviously trying to fill its pockets at our expense by selling "accessories" to dummies at very high prices, and by ensuring that none of these accessories are compatible with other models. I'm talking batteries and loaders.
- One battery is supplied with this camera but no loader, only a miniUSB mains plug to connect to the camera.
- Obviously if you are seriously going to shoot stuff on holidays or otherwise you will need a reserve battery. Panasonic sells these original batteries for over 40 EUR, substitute generic brands, which Panasonic calls "counterfeit" sell them for 10-12 EUR. Well, they are not counterfeit if they are sold under their own brand name. Like the lousy printing companies, Panasonic have apparently added a chip to their batteries (I've read, can't verify this myself) to attempt to make substitutes unusable, with the same result as the printing companies. Plenty of substitute batteries around that work just as well or, (if you read the reviews and it seems based more on hunch than science) even longer than the originals.
- I have three Lumix camera's at home (family members) now AND THEY ALL HAVE DIFFERENT BATTERIES AND DIFFERENT LOADERS. So my old camera batteries are now all ready to be thrown away. This is extremely environmentally unfriendly, Panasonic. Don't give me any crap about eco this and that. you are just trying to sell batteries and loaders.
- Same story for the loader. Panasonic only supplies a mains plug and USB cable for loading with battery in the camera. Not ideal. My previous Lumix all had a separate battery loader; no more. As mentioned: none of the old loaders will work on this battery (and probably the next one, if any).
- IMO Panasonic would have a better image selling compatible batteries and compatible loaders as serious companies that care about their customers and the environment would do. This is a breaker for me, not planning to buy any more Lumix, well if I can find better at least.
- My old camera used to have a complete manual, now just a cd with some crap on it and a quick start guide. You can just leave the cd away and give us a link to the manual. More environmentally friendly and cheaper, and no pretense of providing anything useful.
- This camera has a one year Pan European warranty. EU regulations prescribe a mandatory two years. Don't you know that, Panasonic??? You are breaking EU law. There is no excuse for that and if you had any confidence in your own products, it wouldn't be a problem, but so you make it seem as if it IS a problem.

So, Camera, good, Panasonic, you used to have a good image in my opinion, but it is now seriously tainted. Hopefully my last Lumix, but I won't let that spoil the fun with the new camera in the meantime, with my cheap substitute loader and cheap substitute reserve battery, despite Panasonic. And I will claim my mandatory two years warranty if I need to.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]