5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 500D and kit lenses, 7 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Canon EOS 500D Digital SLR Camera (incl. EF-S 18-55 mm IS Lens Kit) (Camera)
I am a retired professional photographer.
Despite the fact that I made my living with a camera I am still able to enjoy my photography.
The arrival of two new Grandchildren prompted me to update my photographic equipment and whilst I am not badly off in all honesty I didn't feel that I could justify the expense of professional cameras.
I have other interests and we have to eat.
I did a lot of reading and decided to invest in a Canon 500D together with 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses .A 430 EX Speed light completed the outfit.This flash is a super bit of kit.
By the time I had bought a spare battery,memory cards,filters and lens hoods etc., the "entry level" outfit cost wasn't far short of a thousand pounds.
Let me say at the outset that I don't begrudge a penny spent because I am pleased with my new gear.
The camera is intuitive in use,especially if you have had experience with earlier EOS models and the menus are clear and easy to read aided by the large bright LCD screen.
I am impressed by the two lenses.I sometimes wonder whether some of the so called professional reviewers ever abandon their MTF charts and get out into the real world with their cameras.Despite criticism from certain sources I found the resolution of these two lenses to be excellent.
Like many people I am unlikely to print anything larger at A4 but I can assure you that the combination of the 500d body and either of these two lenses is capable of producing much larger quality prints.
I try to ensure that my images are as perfect as possible "in camera" ( the result of working with reversal film for years.) but the bundled software is user friendly and quite capable without being too sophisticated.
One of the big advantages of the 500D is its ability to take HD movies (I think) Only time will as far as I am concerned.The quality is not in doubt but the whole procedure is cumbersome to say the least.

I have one or two reservations however. I wonder why it was necessary to increase the sensor size to 15.1 MB. I have an EOS 300D(6MB) and equipped with reasonable glass the images it produces are not so very far behind those of 500D.
Whilst I am not suggesting that they fully match the quality of those taken with the 500D I have wondered whether the cost of the higher resolution camera was justifiable in my case.
Another slight moan.Canon have gone to great length to expand the ISO range of the 500D which is great when one has to be discreet and not use flash,but it is hard to be discreet when the shutter release is loud enough to wake the dead.The focusing "Beep" sound can be turned off.Why not the shutter release sound Mr.Canon.

Recommendations. It rather depends on what sort of camera you have at the moment. If you have an earlier Canon EOS it may be more sensible to invest in the best glass that you can afford.If however you are looking for your first DSLR the Canon 500D is worth considering.It is a SUPER package and I am delighted with mine.
I hope these ramblings may be of some help.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 May 2010 13:30:18 BDT
Paula says:
Thank you J.Hardy :) A great review and your 'ramblings' were invaluable in my choice of purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2010 18:54:11 BDT
the reason that you can't turn off the shutter sound, is because when you press the button, it mechanically moves the mirror away from the sensor, hard to do quietly at low speeds, let alone 1/500th of a second.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2010 23:07:17 BDT
J. Hardy says:
You are right of course.I didn't express myself very well.I simply meant to say that the shutter /mirror could have benefited from more efficient dampening (IMHO). I have three DSLR's and the 500D has by far the loudest shutter sound.
This is only a problem in quiet situations however.
J.H.

Posted on 3 Jun 2010 12:08:23 BDT
I am looking at finding my first SLR to assist me with a photographic course and these comments, together with the lens details were of great help.

Posted on 21 Jul 2010 18:17:45 BDT
hurry curry says:
A good review from an ex pro

Posted on 20 Aug 2010 22:27:00 BDT
Thanks a lot for your excellent review and final advice, I use it to convince my wife to let me buy this camera and return to the old hobby I had more than 30 years ago.

Posted on 3 Nov 2010 16:58:47 GMT
Mandrake says:

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2010 18:48:04 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 8 Nov 2010 18:49:48 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2010 18:50:03 GMT
T. says:
Er... someone who uses their camera professionally? I.e. is paid to take photographs, just a guess...

Posted on 9 Nov 2010 13:58:52 GMT
Darjeeling says:
As a non-professional I also found your comments very helpful. I owned an earlier Cannon EOS1000 and wanted to buy the equivalent again. I am contemplating whether to buy the 1000D or the 500D. Do I really require the 500D if it is only for the video. I already own the 55-250mm lens. Also what did you mean when you say it would be more sensible to invest in the best glass? Do you mean lens? As I said, I am a non-professional!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›