1.0 out of 5 stars Don't belive the hype - Not a high speed system, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-PA411 AV500 Powerline Adapter - Single Pack (Accessory)
I bought this to go along with a TP-Link PA411KIT. Although it is described as giving "high-speed data transfer rates", these things actually performed worse than my wireless set-up, which is only b/g, not the latest n standard, and the wiring in the house is good, house built 18 years ago. I even turned off everything in the house except two computers, in case there was interference, but that made no difference. And as for the 'support', that was a total joke.I bought this kit thinking it would give a better transfer rate, but as it was far worse, it was returned for a refund.

I can see there can be some uses for these things, for example in an old house with very thick walls, or for an outside extension, but they are not an alternative to installing some Ethernet cable - which I am now doing and which will work.

At least Kikatek, who I bought it from through Amazon, gave me a no quibble refund, so bonus points there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Feb 2014 12:23:30 GMT
Atomspheres says:
You most have it setup wrong or your wiring is not right because I have this setup and get 31MB on broadband test sites but only 20MB when I switch back to wifi.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2014 17:13:56 GMT
Please try and get your facts right.
1. There is no "setup", the units link automatically, there are no user changeable settings.
2. Just because your particular kit performs well in your set-up, that does not prove that if somebody else has a different experience with another kit, then it is their wiring that is faulty, rather than the kit.

I can only report on my experience with one kit, I have no way of knowing if all units perform identically to mine. Maybe some perform well, and some don't. Several reviewers have reported that their units either started off faulty or developed faults, and on that basis, I dismiss your notion that my wiring is faulty as without any fair basis. I gave the units a fair test, I disconnected all other electrical equipment form the mains, and the simple fact is that my kit did not perform according to the maker's claims.

The whole point of the review system is to bring such issues to the attention of potential buyers.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2014 18:46:27 GMT
Atomspheres says:
Zero out of 3 people find your review helpful and it did not help me also. Iv just bought the PA451 pass-through to go with my PA411 kit and iv set it up fine and I still get 11MB more speed than wifi so im not sure what your problem is with your setup then but I think the product's works just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2014 11:18:26 GMT
I think you are missing the point here. While the product may work fine for you, it is evident that it does not work fine for some people. I measured the speed by copying files from one computer to another, and timing this. The best my Wi-fi could manage would be 1.3 megabyte per second (ie, 10.4 Mbps) and the TP-link could manage only about half of that.

Since I had three units, it is not likely that all three were faulty.

So it may well be the case that the performance of the product is very dependent on the quality of the mains. The TP-Link site states that performance can be affect by other electrical equipment in the house. I wanted these things to work and I tried everything to make them work. I turned off everything except two computers and it made no difference. When nothing worked, I had to send them back.

If other electrical equipment in the house can add sufficient noise to the mains to affect the performance, then it must be the case that the product can be affected by a noisy mains coming into the house. Unsurprisingly, TP-link (and other makers of similar products) make no mention of this possibility in their sales literature. And yet we now have mains network systems being sold as being suitable for "noisy environments".

The message for any potential purchaser is this: make sure you buy from someone who will give a no-quibble refund if it doesn't work for you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›