5.0 out of 5 stars Holiday Snaps I Can Stomach, 15 April 2010
This review is from: Jamie Does... (Hardcover)
A new Jamie Oliver book is always a cause for celebration and I had literally been licking my lips and biting my finger nails with anticipation since watching the first episode of the accompanying T.V. series last night. He really brought the food of Marrakesh to life, and made me think again about it. For some reason I thought much of it was very sweet and rich- I didn't know it was also so fresh and vibrant. The Morocco chapter of the book adds a few recipes to those on the T.V. show, such as a very intriguing 'Moroccan Fish and Chips' (spicy marinated fish), Kefta meatballs, grilled sardines and a recipe for making your own preserved lemons. The stand-out recipe of this chapter is the one featured on the show for Vermicelli and Prawn stuffed fish- wow that looks great. I think I'll try it if i can get hold of a nice big sea bass because I'm not sure if we can get dorade here... maybe we can?

My favorite chapters are the Morocco, Greece, and Sweden chapters, probably because I haven't cooked much from those cuisines. I think Jamie's book is a perfect introduction to some of the flavour pairings and techniques of the cooking in those countries from which I intend to spring-board off into my own research and exploration and maybe even travel (though this depends on my purse-strings as well as my apron strings!!). I was lucky enough to be in Sweden recently and I tasted a delicious cardamom bun. I had wanted to have a go at making them when I returned but hadn't found a recipe yet until this morning and, whichever way you look at them, Jamie's buns look great.

I really look forward to trying some Greek stews, especially the sticky pork one. Last year I bought the fantastic tome 'Vefa's Kitchen' which is a great encyclopedic greek cookbook but to be honest I haven't cooked much from it. I can tell I will cook Jamie's greek recipes and they will lead me on to and open up some of the recipes in Vefa's Kitchen. Jamie is inspirational and this book makes me want to travel, explore, go diving, charm snakes and above all cook fantastic food.

When I first heard about this book I thought it sounded interesting but it had the potential to be a little bit like your grandmother showing you holiday snaps... it is in a way like that, if your grandmother just happens to be Jamie Oliver.

p.s. O.K., I've just had another flick through and the French, Spanish and Italian chapters are just as good as the rest (!), including a stunning-sounding recipe for Prune and Armagnac ice cream that I'm about to make a start on so it's ready for a late-night treat this evening.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Apr 2010 16:08:51 BDT
I'm sorry but I truly love the line "whichever way you look at them, Jamie's buns look great", I'm so immature but it made me giggle!! xx

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2010 16:33:09 BDT
Thanks Hayley,

Glad you like... I'm the immature one for writing that!

Posted on 18 Apr 2010 02:34:23 BDT
Hello everyone,

I made the snakey cakey tonight, and instead of the date sauce, I made the prune and armagnac ice cream alongside. Both worked incredibly well and really pleased my guests. On friday, I made the delicious greek sticky pork stew and it was a doddle as well as being delicious!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2010 12:47:31 BDT
Hi Colin. May I ask if you used the pastry he used in the programme and if so where did you find it? It looked fantastic and it is great to hear that is has been tried and tested.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2010 13:38:57 BDT
Hi!

I just used sheets of filo pastry that I got from the supermarket. It worked very well, even though during the rolling I ripped it a bit, it still worked fine and you would never have known it wasn't very neat once it was in the spiral shape in the tin. I also made it in the afternoon and left it to cool so that the dessert was finished and 'in the bag'. I was slightly concerned the pastry would go soft or soggy or something but it didn't at all, it's still crunchy now.

Also, I have no idea where to get the rose petals so i skipped them and it still looked very beautiful.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2010 18:07:46 BDT
Thanks for your reply Colin that is very helpful. You may be able to find rose petals in a health food shop or Culpeppers although I agree they are probably not vital. Although I haven't bought this book yet, I expect I will on the back of your review even though I really don't need another cook book (I shall send my husband to you when he groans at the additon to the large collection! :-))

Posted on 22 Apr 2010 07:47:22 BDT
Shelley says:
Colin - Dorade fish is also known as Sea Bream and is widely available in Supermarkets. It's very similar to Sea Bass but is wider and not as long as Bass in general. Hope that helps with the recipe! x

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2010 10:44:11 BDT
Aha! Thanks Shelley that definitely does help. I hadn't tried it yet, but I think I will soon, now I know what fish to buy!.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2010 16:56:04 BDT
Hi Colin, just to let you know that I made the snake too and it was great and worked out perfectly and was so delicious. I also made the Kefta which was also lovely.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2010 20:24:46 BDT
Thanks for letting me know!

It is a great recipe, isn't it. I think it will become a new standard in my repertoire.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›