2.0 out of 5 stars The first book I've ever returned for a refund, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Entry Island (Kindle Edition)
I'm a Peter May fan--I read the Lewis Trilogy and loved it, so I bought Entry Island in a mood of anticipation. Sadly, when I was about a quarter of the way into it, it became the first Kindle book I have ever returned for a refund. I won't say too much because I don't want to give away the story, but there's a supernatural element that simply doesn't work. It won't stop me reading Peter May--every writer is entitled to the occasional dud--but I cannot recommend this book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jan 2014 08:40:06 GMT
appletree says:
Hi, I didn't know that you could return a kindle book for a refund!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2014 09:14:28 GMT
The Bagster says:
Well, you can. I don't like doing it because it seems unfair on the author and I've never done it before, but in this case I felt I wanted my money back.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2014 10:49:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Feb 2014 11:07:53 GMT
aquagility says:
Would it not have been less 'unfair on the author' to have read the book before classing it as a dud? I, too, could have given up 'a quarter of the way into it' - but I was pleased that I did not.

Posted on 2 Oct 2014 17:28:20 BDT
Kindlelover says:
Hi Bagster are you saying that you returned a book on the grounds that you simply didn't like it? I have enjoyed most of my kindle books, but I have bought a handful that were really disappointing, absolute rubbish! So can I get my money back?

I am surprised if that is so. After all if I bought a paper back from a book store I am sure I wouldn't get a refund because I didn't like it. So why would Amazon accept returns for that reason?

Surely this comes under the heading of "bad luck" choose more carefully next time! In fact any dishonest people out there would simply read and then return their kindle books for a refund whether or not they disliked them!

I think there has to be more to this than meets the eye that's all.

Posted on 2 Oct 2014 17:35:41 BDT
Kindlelover says:
There is only 1 occasion that I returned a book for a refund. I was browsing through the kindle book store and accidentally pressed the word "buy". I didn't want this book and cancelled it IMMEDIATELY within a minute of the purchase. Amazon refunded my money without question, but then I obviously hadn't had time to read any of it. It was just an unfortunate mistake on my part.

Posted on 2 Oct 2014 17:40:19 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Oct 2014 17:40:45 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2014 11:26:03 BDT
The Bagster says:
As I've said, I don't like doing it and it's the only time I have ever done it. There are people who download a book knowing that, as long as they do so within a week, they can have it removed from their Kindle and get a refund. I think that's a very dishonest way of dealing with the author who put all that hard work into creating the book - - it's robbing the author, if you want my opinion. But this book was so atrocious, so utterly false in every way, that I felt the author was robbing the reader. It's ten months since I returned that book, I've downloaded quite a lot more since then and I haven't returned a single one even though there were some I didn't think were really up to scratch. I suppose that's a measure of how low I rate this book.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2014 17:07:47 BDT
Kindlelover says:
Well I guess I learn something new every day! I certainly didn't know that you can return a book within a week just because you think it is rubbish. Just for the record, how did you learn about it? I don't think Amazon will be drawing readers' attention to this very much. As I said people could read a book and complain to Amazon that they didn't like it and just get a refund! Lots of free reading! Oh dear this could catch on! Anyway thanks for responding to my comment. All the best.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2014 17:28:14 BDT
The Bagster says:
People DO do that. And I think it's wrong. Frankly, I don't think Amazon should allow refunds--if you buy a book in a book shop you can't take it back for a refund. But they do allow them and, in this one case, I thought the book was so awful that I'd take advantage of it.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2014 18:58:59 BDT
Kindlelover says:
I have just been making enquiries and apparently if people did this too often Amazon could close their account down and deny access to all books already purchased. So obviously if people behaved dishonestly they would soon regret it! You only did this once so that is o.k. it is those people who abuse the system that have to worry!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (327 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist