5.0 out of 5 stars 1356, Bernard Cornwell- Book Review, 11 Oct. 2012
This review is from: 1356 (Hardcover)
Thomas of Hookton is back in Bernard Cornwell's new book 1356 and as usual, Cornwell does not disappoint with this novel. I have been looking forward to this book release for a very long time. Cornwell's Grail Quest trilogy was the first series of books that I ever read, so Thomas of Hookton holds a dear place in my heart and I couldn't wait to see what happens to him in 1356!

1356 sees Thomas and his group of rogue archers and men-at-arms (or otherwise known as the Hellequin) fighting as mercenaries in the French countryside. Thomas and his men are content; they are becoming rich off the warring French aristocracy and are able to help Frenchmen kill Frenchmen. However, Thomas knows that war is looming and when a message arrives from his liege Lord, the Earl of Northampton, Thomas is expecting to be wielding his bow back against the King of France. But, the letter is not what Thomas is expecting. The Earl of Northampton wants Thomas and his men to find a legendary relic called La Malice. La Malice is the sword of Saint Peter. The holy sword the Saint used to defend Jesus from the Romans.

The Earl of Northampton stresses how important La Malice is and Thomas sets out to reclaim it for the Kingdom of England. However, Thomas is not the only person looking for the sword! Thomas's nemesis Cardinal Bessieres is also looking for the relic in a vain attempt to become the next Pope! Both parties intertwine within the book, but the great finale between these two, and who ends up with the sword, is decided at the Battle of Poitiers! Will it be Thomas and the English or Bessieres and the French?

As usual, this was a great read from Bernard Cornwell and I'm glad that he has returned to this series because my favourite period in history is the Hundred Years War. I like that Cornwell does justice to the Battle of Poitiers. As he rightly says, Poitiers is always overshadowed by the other great battles of the time like Crecy and Agincourt, so it is nice to see Cornwell give it the credit and recognition it deserves! I also love the fact that the ending suggests there could be another book to follow! I just hope it doesn't take as long to come as 1356 has! And I love the front cover, it's so simple but just looks so awesome!

I would suggest this book to anyone who is a historical-fiction fan or to anyone who has read any of Cornwell's other novels. I would say that if you are a Cornwell fan and you haven't read his Grail Quest series, then go back to the first book Harlequin and start from there, don't start with 1356!

For more great book reviews check google adam-p-reviews

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Oct 2012 14:09:21 BDT
Neil Lea says:
Never mind the Hundred Years War what about Bernard finishing the Starbuck series,if possible before I pop my clogs.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2012 23:42:20 BDT
I know! I wish he'd get back to Nathaniel as well! What's it been about 15 years since the Bloody Ground?

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 16:44:12 GMT
Unhappy says:
Gonna have to get the Grail Quest series now.I thought 1356 was a one off ...damn it ...no wonder I found it hard to get into unlike any other of his books I have read including all of the Sharpes in order !

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2013 18:57:23 GMT
Haha I know, Cornwell usually releases a one off book and a novel from his Saxon Series on alternative years so I can see why you found it hard to get into! Yes! Definitely read the Grail Quest series. I have read most of Cornwell's books and the Grail Quest series is by far my favourite! I hope you enjoy :)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2014 10:01:05 GMT
Urbanmeister says:
As adam-p-reviews says, I know! There I was finishing off the Starbuck trilogy and thought, when's the next one coming? Going on to the author's web site, he has no plans! He felt this was being met by his Warrior Chronicles. Infamy! Infamy! (You know the joke from the Carry On films of course). I almost took it personally. C'mon Mr Cornwall, we need to read more about Nate.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›