4.0 out of 5 stars Great speaker set, 15 April 2007
This review is from: Logitech X-530 PC Multimedia Home Theatre Speaker System - 70 Watt (Total) (5.1) (Accessory)
I've read most of the reviews so I'll clarify some bits:

1) YES you need 3 sockets from your sound card or source, this is NOT a super digital processor, you need to feed it the signals. Plugging in your iPod will not drive all the speakers.

2) The sub woofer isn't overpowering - back to how you drive it. When I plugged my MP3 player using only the main feed, yes it's overpowering - but that's not how you are supposed to use the speakers - so it's hardly a failing. Besides if it's too much for you adjust it using your PC's equaliser!

3) The adapter that's referred to in the description for Xbox's etc is actually in the box - a little plastic doofry that converts 2 into the 3 required. (2xRCA female to 3x6.5mm sockets)

4) Yes the rear speaker wires are a bit on the mean side - and extra couple of metres would have been nice. I'll have to get a couple of extension cables - RCA female to RCA male.

5) Foreign radio - nope, but I do seem to live in a lead lined flat so I may be protected.

6) Surge clicks - yep when my fridge kicks in there is a 'pop' or 'click', they are a bit sensitive to that sort of thing, so some sort of surge protection or a good clean mains is required.

I needed to replace my aging surround receiver but couldn't afford to upgrade. As I mainly view/listen on my pc connected to the TV (media pc) I decided to cut out the middle man and drive the speakers directly. With this speaker set I was sorted in a 40 quid single step.

I fired up Silent Hill and all the creepy banging, thumping and scraping certainly filled my room with delightful 5.1 sounds.

CD/MP3s were hit and miss sadly, but this isn't the fault of the speakers and more my software. WMP played the MP3s through all speakers but my HTPC software will only drive the left and right.

Well recommended, but remember cable length and mains click. (which is why they don't get 5 stars)

Inexpensive and sound great!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 May 2009 03:35:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 May 2009 04:45:00 BDT
Will a three splitter which has a male 3.5mm plug to 3 6.5mm RCA sockets work to ship the sound impulses from the normal 3.5mm audio line out socket of a computer?
And will the sound be any good this way?

I'm new to speaker systems, but I make out that connecting this way may only provide stereo or 2.1 sound from a computer. Is this right, or is it the case that connecting this way will give true surround sound if the computer sound card supports 5.1 surround sound?

This is enlightment to me, perhpas. A computer having 3 audio out sockets is not something I've heard of, perhaps from being used to older computers and good budget computers. Is it found much? And will the sound, connecting as I have stated be any different or worse than if your computer has the 3 RCA audio out sockets (considering your computer sound card supports 5.1 surround sound)? Will it be true surround sound both ways?

Posted on 2 Feb 2010 10:25:36 GMT
C. Abalain says:
This used to happen to me with my creative speakers that sounds would only come through certain speakers. I don't know if you've already done it, but in control panel (or what used to be that - not sure about vista etc) if you go in to sound settings and speakers you can choose if you have 5.1 or quad or twin speakers and this can be tested in there I think, but I'm surprised you don't have any logitech software which corrects this anyway!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2010 00:38:38 GMT
Borb says:
Waaay late in the day for this, but just in case.
To drive these speakers you NEED the 3 sockets out of your sound card. Centre, Front left/right and Rear left/right. Splitters will not give you 5.1 surround. There is (was they may have removed it) a splitter box with the speaker, but all this does is make the sound come out of the centre and rears, in other words stereo out of more speakers.

Cheers and good luck
Bob

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2010 00:40:39 GMT
Borb says:
As I said in the review - the speakers work fine with windows media player when playing MP3s. It's simply a software problem for my HTPC. It's not a windows problem.

But what the hell, CDs are stereo, and the MP3s play in stereo.

Cheers
BobG

Posted on 24 Apr 2012 00:41:31 BDT
Jon says:
Just recently purchased these speakers and unable to connect my LG LV550T TV has it has no optical.
Have it connected to my LG BD660 Blu Ray player but 4 of the speakers the cables are too short

Can anyone recommend what connections and cables I should use?

Thanks