4.0 out of 5 stars Buffalo Linkstation Duo 2TB, 3 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Buffalo LS-WX2.0TL/R1-EU 2TB LinkStation Duo 2 Bay Desktop NAS (Accessory)
Bought this to use as a media server for our new Sony TV. I wanted to use this in Raid 1 mode (mirrored) which meant converting it from "Normal" mode (two totally seperate drives). In this repect, the manual could do with being a bit clearer but I did eventually work out how to do it. Eventually I started to load the video files onto the drive. Like the previous reviewer I have found this to be a VERY long process: It can take 2-3 hours to upload a 2GB file. The direct copy, from a USB memory device, takes place in about 5 minutes - BUT places the file in a folder which the Media Server doesn't access - so pointless. Each USB upload creates a new (dated) folder automatically so, it's not just a case of changing the Media Server folder to match - you'd have to do it each time you uploaded. Playback is fine. If I can just live with the long upload times it will do exactly what I bought it for. I can hear the drives if I stand close but, placed next to the router in the hall, it's not obtrusive.

2 days later: The upload speed problem was due to me trying to do it wirelessly. Once I connected with a cable it was much better: 2GB in about 10 minutes.

3 days later: Disk 1 has just failed completely, so it's going back to Amazon for replacement. Hope I was just unlucky.

9 days later: Replacement arrives from Amazon. Reformatted as RAID1 and loaded files.

10 days later: Got up to find it flashing error codes. Disk 1 failed completely - again. So, it's back to Amazon again. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a stable product. Frustrating, as we have the previous version at work used for backups and it's been running 24/7 for over 12 months without a problem.

11 days later: Got an email from Amazon to say that they will only refund my money and not replace the item again. Where do I go from here? Maybe a ReadyNas Duo - now down to similar prices if you look around...and with a free HD up to the end of September.

P.S. The second unit was noisier than the first, mainly due to buzzing not fan. Have seen some reviews complaining about noise. Maybe it just varies from unit to unit.

Eventually purchased a Netgear ReadyNas Duo with the free drive. £10 extra than the Buffalo but I think it's better built and you don't have to buy pre-formatted drives from Buffalo if you need to replace one at some time in the future. Happy with the new drive....but Buffalo support is reponsive...Netgear support is not.

[Add comment]