3.0 out of 5 stars Okay product... but, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2577LT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe and North America Maps and Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts (Electronics)
The product itself looks and feels good. I have tried it locally but have yet to try it for it's main use in the USA (the reason why I purchased it). Time will tell...

The reasons why only three stars (and I thought long and hard about giving it any more than one star to be honest) are as follows:

1) This is my second Garmin unit the previous one bought a few years ago still operates perfectly well but the mapping is out of date. I decided to purchase another unit as by the time I updated UK maps and purchased US maps on an SD card there was not a great deal of price difference and of course technology moves on - better satellite acquisition/bigger screens/junction views etc.

2) Unlike my previous Garmin the 2577LT does not come with an AC charger nor a case so purchasers have to make additional accessory purchases should they require these items.

3) No instructions are included with the 2577LT - so purchasers are expected to download the manual from the Garmin website which just seems wrong? Purchasers are left to fumble around to find these after downloading Garmin Express on their computer. I'm sure a lot of people must struggle with this?

4) I wanted to download my favourites from my previous Garmin to the 2577LT. Despite reading the downloaded manual and Google searches on the subject I was unable to do so. I contacted Garmin - we will call the department 'customer support' and after three long premium rate telephone calls (30 minutes plus each) I was still unable to do what I wanted to. I await my phone bill... I was given misleading information by one staff member which was later contradicted by another. Eventually I loaded my favourite addresses manually from one Garmin to the other...

5) Garmin provide an e-mail support address. Don't hold your breath... I sent a number of e-mails about the above and have only received one response.

I have no experience with other manufacturers such as Tom Tom for example. I do presently remain loyal to Garmin with some reservations however. Garmin you really need to have a rethink and protect your place in the market if you want to continue being a leader!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Sep 2013 18:45:01 BDT
Stephen M says:
I too want to transfer favourites from an old Garmin - how did you end up doing it?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2013 18:29:09 BDT
jackdaww says:
i was given the instructions below by garmin.
hope it helps.

You can save your favourites to your PC to back them up by following the
instructions below:

1. Connect your device to the PC.
2. Click the Windows Start icon.
3. Click Computer or My computer.
4. Open the Garmin drive. THIS TAKES A WHILE TO APPEAR
5. Open the GPX folder.
6. Copy and paste the Current.gpx file to your desktop.
7. Rename this file to Current1.gpx. OK DID ALL THIS

This has now saved a copy of your favorites to the computer so if you
were to lose them you can easily retrieve them. To get them onto your
new device follow the below instructions:

1. Connect your device to the PC.
2. Copy the Current1.gpx file from your desktop.
3. Click the Windows Start icon.
4. Click Computer or My computer.
5. Open the Garmin drive.
6. Open the GPX folder.
7. Paste the Current1.gpx file in this folder.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2013 19:53:41 BDT
Stephen M says:
Top bloke! Will follow these when I get my new Garmin... Thank you.

Posted on 30 Nov 2013 14:15:09 GMT
mike says:
Shiney you 've written a top critique of Garmin as a whole here. Their products are generally good ..especially in the marine market but they just have no pretensions to customer support whatsoever. I am very tempted to follow your lead and buy this unit to replace a perfectly good Garmin that needs map updating ( drove all over new road system in Istanbull with instructions that if i'd acted upon would have probably seen my languishing in a lock up for Xmas!!) I probably will get it but know that there will be hang ups in transfer of data to new one but hope your info helps me avoid huge phone bill to garmin. Cheers fella!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›