5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money, 7 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Samsung RF711 17.3 inch Laptop - Black (Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz, RAM 8GB, HDD 1TB, Blu-ray, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) (Personal Computers)
First a big 'Thank you' to Amazon and UPS for getting the laptop from the UK to Cyprus in under 4 days over a weekend with snow and ice covering much of Europe, curtailing some road and air traffic.
The specifications are as listed by Amazon and my first impressions are good. I ordered this along with a Samsung 256gb 830 SSD & notebook kit. Both came well packaged along with good documentation.
It took about an hour to get the laptop up and running, remove a very small amount of bloatware, and install AVG and Norton Ghost.
Setting up the SSD using the supplied Norton Ghost software proved problem free. I chose to make two partitions on the 1TB hard drive but in that wonderful thing called hindsight, I wish that I had made just one partition on the hard drive when I first set the laptop up. As it is I now have drives C & D on the SSD and F & G on the 1TB HDD, whereas I would have preferred just a C drive on the SSD and a D drive on the HDD The laptop instructions were clear on how to remove the hard drive and the laptop came with a hard drive caddy for a second drive. I made the SSD the primary drive, put the 1TB drive in the second slot and, with fingers crossed, booted up. I needed the supplied Windows 7 system recovery disk to start, which re-assigned drive letters and on the re-start everything was as it should be.
It is quiet and I find the resolution of the 17.3 inch screen better than expected from reviews I have read elsewhere, but I am not a game player.
Overall - very happy!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Feb 2012 09:32:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Feb 2012 09:49:28 GMT
Noorian says:
Thank you for your review! I have these questions which may be stating the obvious but here we go:
1- Does the laptop come with a single 1TB HDD - and not 2 * 500 GB?
2- Is the Bluray drive a combo that allows writing and buring to DVD/CD media?
3- Naming the Samsung 256gb 870 SSD, did you mean Samsung 256gb 830 SSD?
Thank you in advance!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2012 10:12:37 GMT
Alan W says:
1. Yes it comes with 1 x 1TB hard drive leaving a space for a second HDD.
2. The Bluray is a combo with writing and burning to DVD/CD
3. Oops! I did mean the 830 SSD. I bought the notebook kit which proved worthwhile for me as it included Norton Ghost and a USB connector.
Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2012 09:21:51 GMT
Browser says:
Thanks a lot for all this info. I have just bought this laptop and SSD and am going to attempt to do what you did - but I have no experience of opening up a laptop and installing SSD. Is this quite straight forward for a newbie?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2012 10:24:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Feb 2012 10:28:11 GMT
Alan W says:
I followed the instructions that came with Norton Ghost to clone the existing HDD.
Then I followed the instructions in Chapter 3 of the Samsung User Guide which appears as an icon on the desktop to replace the HDD with the SSD and put the HDD in the second bay. The only thing that was not covered in the instructions was rebooting having installed the SSD. I went into the BIOS by pressing the F2 key on start up and changed the first boot option from HDD to CD drive (follow the instructions on the right of the screen to do this) then I booted from the system recovery disk that came with the laptop. Having booted I followed the on screen directions then shut down and removed the recovery disk, changed the BIOS to boot from the SSD............and all worked. Take your time, print off any instructions you might need while your laptop is being worked on and you should find it straight forward.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2012 13:25:50 GMT
Browser says:
Finally got my SSD package delivered. I was re reading your instructions and had a few doubts:
1. Why are we backing up the HDD? Is it so that we can restore it on the SSD later? I know you say clone - did you clone or just take a back up? Where did you store the backup - external drive or the D drive on your HDD? Or did you just clone the HDD to the new SSD using usb?
2. After installing and switching HDD and SSD and booting using recovery disk and then changing the BIOS to boot from SSD - how did everything work without restoring the back up on SSD - the only thing I can think of is because you cloned to the SSD - have I got this right?
Sorry about asking so many questions, I expected Norton Ghost to simply guide me, but it comes up with a general backup screen, nothing to do with installing a new SSD.
Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2012 15:20:19 GMT
Alan W says:
Your laptop comes with a 1TB HDD which has all the Windows 7 operating system and drivers etc in an area of the HDD known as the system partition. Then you have another partition which is probably the C:\ drive.
To get your SSD to replace the HDD you need to clone (Not backup) the system partition from the HDD to the SSD and then clone the C drive. To do this, connect the SSD into a USB port on the laptop using the supplied connector. Then, using Norton Ghost, clone the drive. Full instructions on how to do this can be found by inserting the Samsung CD that came with the SSD, going to the Magician Software Folder and in there is a .pdf file called 'Norton Ghost Data Migration' Open it and a very detailed explanation of how to clone is in Chapter 15. i suggest you print off that chapter as you will need to refer to it.
Hope this helps.

Posted on 23 Feb 2012 10:15:41 GMT
Is the glossy top a problem in terms of scratches and fingerprints? Thx in advance

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2012 15:04:51 GMT
Alan W says:
It does get finger marks on it but a quick wipe with a microfibre cloth removes them - and so far, no scratches.

Alan

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 22:57:39 GMT
Browser says:
Thanks Alan, that is really helpful - I completely ignored magician software before!
I cloned the system and c drive on to my ssd (i did not have anything on my d drive so i did not clone this), using Norton Ghost, replaced the hdd with ssd and fitted the hdd in the second bay. Started up the computer, went into BIOS - by default the boot order was cd, ssd then hdd. So I left it as it is, inserted the recovery cd - the screen came up asking to install windows, I was a little surprised - options were upgrade or custom. I chose custom to see where it goes, it then asked me to chose a disk to install, by default it chose ssd. I did not understand why I had to reinstall windows when the ssd already has a copy of windows. I abandoned the process and rebooted - this time i changed the boot order to ssd, cd and hdd - to check if it could boot with ssd, it booted alright. Went into the explorer to check what was happening - as expected the drives were not reassigned - hdd has the c and d drives, hdd also shows the f drive(system drive is now visible on hdd, probably because it is not the the primary drive anymore?), ssd has the e drive and g drive is assigned to cd drive. All the desktop items and start menu items still point to c drive - I did not expect that but I can see why the drives need to be reassigned now!
1. When you booted with the recovery disk did you reinstall windows on the ssd - is this the key to reassigning the drives and there fore everything on the desktop/start menu point to the primary drive i.e.ssd?
2. After installing ssd, is it safe to delete the drives on hdd?
You have been a star so far, I am very grateful for your help. Looking forward to your reply!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2012 07:25:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Feb 2012 07:27:06 GMT
Hi again,
I am no expert but what I would do is remove the HDD and reboot, perhaps having to use the Recovery CD. Then connect the HDD using the supplied USB connector and go to Start and in the box 'Search programs and Files' type compmgmt.msc -Then in the window that opens select Disk management from the left column. This will show the drive letters and partitions of your two disks. I would right click on the Partition of your HDD and allocate a new drive letter if a new drive letter has not been allocated. Then reinstall the HDD.
I did not reinstall Windows from the recovery disk. I have not deleted anything from the HDD as it remains a useful backup if there is ever a problem with the SSD I will switch it back to being the main drive. It still gives me over 780gbs for storage. Hope this helps.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›