5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent navigation with live traffic feeds, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2508LT-D 5" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps and Free Lifetime Digital Traffic Alerts (Electronics)
Having read all the reviews of most of the SatNavs on the market, I settled for the Garmin 2508LT-D.

The issue I had with all the reviews is that they are very mixed. Lots of people adore a specific SatNav, and lots of people hate the same unit! This makes it very difficult for people like me to establish which is the best to go for.

I have had an old TomTom One unit for many years, and whilst it was okay it did struggle with some of the navigation. I also spent a whole day connecting it up and getting the latest maps etc. which was a total nightmare with TomTom (something others have commented on in their reviews).

I do a lot of miles in a car, though largely on motorways and A roads. I live on the South Coast of the UK so I am frequently up the M3, the A34 to the M40, and north of Bimingham to Manchester or up to Doncaster and back.

My key requirements were: 1. Good screen that is easy to read in the daytime but also when dimmed at night/early mornings. 2. Live traffic updates. 3. Decent navigation accuracy. I have no need for voice activation as I typically put a postcode in and 3 hours later I arrive. I also have no need for integrated Bluetooth or mobile as I also have a phone installed.

In terms of the screen, this unit is really good. Clear, no fuss, nice alerts at the top of the screen, easy to setup and it worked out of the box. At night it auto-dims (or you can set the brightness manually) and I've done around 5,000 miles with it and still find it a great screen. I typically have it on mute, but you can turn the volume down to a low level and still be alerted to speed cameras etc. without intrusion (nothing worse than a SatNav constantly beeping at you - this one doesn't, and you can configure the warning sounds etc).

The best thing about this SatNav is the live traffic updates. This worked straight out of the box and has already been hugely useful. When on a journey, it will warn you of traffic, estimate (and add) the extra journey time and/or allow you to re-route to avoid. I typically find that if there is traffic on, say, the M40, then I just like to know that my journey will take another 10 minutes rather than bothering to re-route. The live traffic is definitely the best reason to get this unit, though I suspect others have the same feature also. I have to say when I was choosing the unit, the TomTom units seemed much more expensive with live traffic updates though.

And finally the navigation. No problems at all so far and it certainly seems smarter than my old TomTom even with the latest maps etc. It just seems more intuitive, and having visited many different business in major towns and in the middle of nowhere, this has not let me know.

My one tiny gripe (though I suspect I just haven't found the function yet) is there is no countdown of the total miles of the trip. It shows you the estimated arrival time but not the mileage countdown, and I tend to always check my car's trip computer to ensure my remaining fuel mileage is always enough to get to the destination which I can't do with this SatNav. As I say, I feel there is a way of showing this (it has a "trip monitor" feature which I haven't bothered to understand yet) so it definitely doesn't warrant one less star on the review.

Overall, this is a really great unit, and I had a local mobile stereo fitter install the wiring behind the dash and add a 12v socket out of sight so I don't have to suffer with trailing wires etc (great result for £35). I would highly recommend the Garmin 2508LT-D.

[Add comment]