2.0 out of 5 stars Audio output on HD (BBC1 HD) lags picture, 5 Aug 2012
This review is from: Panasonic TX-L42E5B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart Internet LED TV with Freeview HD - Black (Electronics)
The picture quality is fine on HD channels. SD channels do not look very good - I realise this is the broadcast signal, but I thought the viewing experience on SD channels worse than the 32" plasma this screen was intended to replace.

I could not accept the lag on audio output when viewing HD channels. I have read many posts about issues with ITV, but I experienced problems with the audio being late watching BBC1 HD - channel 50. Panasonic national help line were no use, denied this is a known issue, and referred me to the local Panasonic repair centre. The local centre explained I would be liable for a callout fee if there was not a 'fault' identified. So, I borrowed a 2nd TV and freeview HD box and set things up side by side using an aerial splitter: the images on both screens looked in sync, but the audio out of the Viera (internal speakers or via the digital output) lagged that from the other freeview box significantly. Muting the Viera - so audio from the other TV - lip sync no issue watching either screen: muting the other box with audio from the Viera - lip sync gone: having audio from the Viera and the other TV - hear a clear echo due to lagged audio from Viera.

I visited a Panasonic shop selling this model: the lip sync was awful there too. The salesman tried to explain this was due to using a home cinema audio system (as if that makes it OK) and instead let me listen to the audio from the TV's speakers. To my eye/ear the same issue persisted.

I am disgusted with Panasonic since I don't believe this is a one-off.

So I am returning this set. I will try an alternative (plasma as it happens) model - forced to stick with Panasonic since no other maker appears to be making budget screens with freeview HD tuners at 42". If that has similar issues it too will go back, and I will purchase a separate HD Freeview box (same as the one I borrowed that worked) and a screen that claims to be 'HD ready' but which does not include a freeview HD tuner.

Full marks to Amazon for their returns policy: I hope they can pass the cost back to Panasonic!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Oct 2012 13:54:16 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 31 Mar 2013 20:05:45 BDT]

Posted on 22 Oct 2012 08:25:04 BDT
J. Mann says:
I bought one of these televisions yesterday. There was no audio lag noticeable on any of the HD channels.

It came with software version 1.256, and upgraded itself to 1.261 once I connected it to the Internet.

Posted on 9 Nov 2012 03:32:54 GMT
I bought a Panasonic Viera a few years ago and split my computer audio output so that half went to a stereo and half to the TV. The TV output is delayed wrt the stereo so I can't have them both on at the same time unless I like an echo effect.

Posted on 18 Nov 2012 19:28:51 GMT
flimper says:
I wish I'd listened to your review! Have had exactly the same problems as you, returned 1st set, 2nd set is just as bad. Absolutely unbearable, tearing my hair out! Glad to know that your new TV is OK now, I was concerned that it may have been my freeview signal or that I had set it up incorrectly.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 08:42:06 GMT
I didn't return the TV. Picture and sound are great - I simply don't have the stereo and the TV on at the same time because as I said, the TV lags behind the computer/stereo. BTW you probably already know that if you select viewing mode - Dynamic and CATS - Off, the picture improves a lot -- Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 11:20:41 GMT
flimper says:
Hi Sophie,

I have tried all possible combinations, TV speakers or soundbar, picture processing aids turned off, HD channels, SD channels, DLNA, iPlayer, Blu Ray and I can't get away from the problem. The only thing that works is when there are no lips on view, then the picture is absolutely fantastic! Such a shame...

Posted on 30 Nov 2012 22:35:39 GMT
D GOODWIN says:
Just got one of these sets. I am having lip sync problems on both HD and SD. When the set is first switched on after being off all night the audio is about 6 seconds behind the video. After about half a minute and a few clicks it almost corrects itself, but not quite. If I connect an analogue amp and speakers to the scart output and have both this and the sets internal speakers on there is a very distinct echo. I would say that the analogue output is in perfect sync with the video but the internal speakers and probably the digital audio outputs are lagging by a noticeable amount. I find this unacceptable.
I have now also noticed that on dark scenes the brightness is varying anoyingly. I have C.A.T.S turned off and have tried all other video settings but cannot cure the problem.
I also have a slightly older Panasonic E3B type, and this does not exhibit any of these problems.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›