5.0 out of 5 stars Might be the best money you will spend in a long time!, 12 Feb. 2007
This review is from: The Tomorrow People - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I started collecting the Tomorrow People DVD's three years ago when the entire series wasn't available yet. It took me two years before I had the wholes series and I wish I could have bought them all at once then for this fabulously low price.
Anyway, I never regretted the money I spent on collecting them all as this series is just great. I was exposed to this series first in 1981 when I lived in the US for half a year. I was then 10 years old and rushed home from school every day to be in time for the day's episode of the Tomorrow People on the children's channel Nickelodeon. Now in my mid-thirties I still find them entertaining.
The whole premise of the series is that a new step in the evolution of man has come into being: The Homo Superior. Endowed with supernatural powers a few youngsters are the first of the new species to appear. From their headquarters in an unused London underground Station and with the help of their speaking computer Tim they protect mankind against its own evils and evils from outer space. The Tomorrow People are telepathic, masters of telekinesis and can transport their bodies through space (jaunting).
The acting doesn't compare to the child actors we have today and the special effects are not that special and probably weren't even for Seventies' standards. But a good story is a good story, both now and then! The DVD quality is about as good as a 30 year old series on DVD gets and for those that can't get enough: watching the episodes with commentaries from the actors will give you unprecedented insights into the making of the Tomorrow People. There are both high points and low points in the series. I would particularly advise watching:
-The Blue and The Green
-A Secret Weapon
-Hitler's Last Secret.
The series is best watched in its particular order, but this is not necessary.

Conclusion: if you either enjoyed this series in the Seventies (or Eighties, as in my case) or are just looking for good English Television SF, this box set will be a very worthwhile purchase. So jaunt back to the Seventies and enjoy!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jun 2008 01:34:08 BDT
Simon Hollis says:
What are you talking about?! Seriously. Yes the TM is great, but I think you've sort of missed the point ('A good story is a good story' - yes, but these are wonderfully *awful* stories). Hitler's Last Secret is sooooo mind-bendingly bad it's a hoot.

Posted on 5 May 2012 13:37:45 BDT
Wolfie says:
For the run time it says 900 minutes. Could you look at it and tell us what the real/accurate run time is?

Like you, I enjoyed this wonderful series on Nick (in the U.S.) and while the overall quality wasn't the best in the world, even for the time it was made, it was an interesting concept and it was kept on the simple side so that your imagination could wander. Many other shows try to get complex or do all of the thinking for you to the point that there's nothing left to imagine. As with other shows, they always seemed to encounter numerous adventures that always elude or bypass everyone else in the world, much like murder mysteries always seemed to be available to Jessica Fletcher (Murder, She Wrote) anywhere she went. Sometimes those adventures were themselves either unrealistic or even unlikely, they were great none the less. After all, what fun would the show be if these kids with unusual abilities were to go around doing nothing more than finding an occasional lost pet or other things that could be done without those abilities (just the abilities would have made those things a bit easier)?

You mentioned "The Blue and The Green". I vaguely remember watching that episode/story. If I remember correctly, that's the one where people became part of one group or the other (blue or green) and would pick fights with those who weren't the same color as them. Not sure what the original intent was behind the writing of the story, but it served as an excellent way to view racism and gang like activities. What does it matter what color someone picked or has (blue or green)? We're all still the same.

Was a great show to watch and would love to get the complete series, just want to check the details first. Thanks for your review, I think it speaks for the way a lot of people felt about the series. Lacked in some ways but excelled where it really mattered the most.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 09:58:53 BDT
Julio Punch says:
Hi Wolfie,
I don't have the box set myself. I bought every series by itself. I have all episodes and the number of discs corresponds to the number of discs in the box set. So, you're good, it has everything in it.

Posted on 26 Nov 2013 00:34:33 GMT
It would be nice if we recreated THE TOMORROW PEOPLE as the americans are doing right now with the technology we have today it would be as exciting as Starwars and Startrek instead we have others profiting from our writers idea's

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2014 21:59:27 GMT
Mr. R Baylis says:
I too bought every series separately, but they stayed behind with my children after my divorce. So I'm thinking of purchasing this complete set. It may have the same number of disks overall, but can anyone confirm if it has the commentary tracks? I don't think there were many extras on the disks apart from this but the commentary tracks were great fun to listen to and I wouldn't like to find it was just the episodes they'd released. Hopefully it is exactly the same mastered disk, but just in a single package.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2014 07:12:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Aug 2014 07:13:17 BDT
Rsrchr says:
Sorry to answer this so late, but I have both sets (the separate ones and this one); and I have listened to this one and it DOES have all the commentaries.

I have been trying to figure out if any bits got censored, though, because I could have sworn that I'd heard PVC talking about going to the Sylvia Young school, and now I can't find that (although I can't find it on the old sets either, so maybe I heard an interview online and got it mixed up with the disc commentaries)

In my set, there is a defect that two of the discs are mis-labeled; their labels got swapped with each other but I do not know whether that was endemic or just mine; and in any case all the episodes and commentaries are there.

PS: I think it was really nice of you to let your kids have them
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (55 customer reviews)

£99.99 £19.95