5.0 out of 5 stars Puzzled, 3 Feb 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Professor Layton 3 and the Lost (Unwound) Future Game DS (Video Game)
Searching for a decent puzzle game for the Nintendo handheld won't have to take very long. The professor Layton series have established them firmly into the gamer's mind and that is why I decided to purchase it.

This is the first game in the series I played (I have the other ones too but they're occupied by other members of the family at present) and I wasn't sure what to expect. Watching Youtube videos and reading other reviews couldn't prepare me enough for the experience of trying things out yourself.

The only difference between this and "The lost future" is the name and perhaps some of the voice-acting. Oddly enough, Amazon have priced them differently and this one is the cheaper of the two.

The gameplay is easy and straightforward. You point-n-click on various objects on the screen, triggering a dialogue or a puzzle, moving the intricate story forwards. The puzzles themselves range in difficulty; if you find yourself stuck, however, there are always hint coins scattered around in the environment for you to find and use. I also liked the memo function where you can scribble down your thoughts on any given puzzle.

I usually become very bored reading endless dialogues but since there is voice-acting included and the actual dialogues are sharp and witty I didn't skip anything. The two protagonists, Layton and his assistant Luke, are real characters and you always feel included in their adventure.

Are you after a puzzle game on-the-go and haven't ever played a Professor Layton game I can't recommend this enough. It might be a good idea to start with the first title (Curious village), however, I've been told that is not necessary.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Aug 2012 10:43:10 BDT
Mike says:
Has anyone in your family played more than one game in this series? I played and totally loved the first Professor Layton game but its follow up seemed to rehash and reuse a lot of the first games puzzles. The plot of the second one also failed to capture me in the same way. I would love another journey with the prof but am worried that it may again be more of the same, any insight from you and your family would be very welcome. Thank you for your time, Mike.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2012 17:07:02 BDT
Mr D.K Lind says:
After I wrote this review I bought all the other games off E-bay. Mainly because my wife loved them to bits and I think that is why I gave this a full five stars. She loves all the titles and is looking forward to the next instalment for the 3DS.

I have tried the other ones and they seem to be pretty much more of the same so I'm not as interested in buying the next game as she is.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2012 19:37:27 BDT
Mike says:
Thanks, thought this may be the case!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›