2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic size but NOT always fantastic images, 27 May 2012
This review is from: Sony SEL16F28 Alpha NEX Series Lens - 16mm F2.8 (Camera)
I cant believe reviewing this product that it has only 5 star reviews! This lens absolutely does not produce fantastic images if its fully open at f2.8. Calling this an f2.8 lens is rather misleading as the images produced at this f-stop are incredibly soft. Sony should have just rated it at f4 and be done with it.

At the lowest most open f stops edges of images are very very soft, and i don't just mean a minute 1% in the far corners but really significant area of each image in total. When you start looking at your photos its incredibly noticeable for many images, you don't have to be zooming into 100%+ to see this. So I really don't feel im being picky when I say this.

Its not all bad though, you can totally alleviate this issue by shooting at around f5.6/8. I just ensure with the lens that im shooting in aperture priority mode and fix it at a higher f-stop.

The physical size of the lens (or lack of it) is fantastic and its a huge contrast to every other lens currently available for the e mount (both sony made and 3rd party).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Dec 2012 23:14:37 GMT
A. Blok says:
Hi, looks like you are right...

...and I'm glad to spot your review because I am considering the twin lens NEX F3 kit deal in Jessops where you get an F3 plus the 18-55 and 16mm for £349 inc rebate.

Posted on 5 Jan 2013 16:47:20 GMT
Hi there,

At the risk of ridicule I have to ask a question; this is really bugging me...

I have an NEX5N and an FS100. When I use the lens with both cameras I have no aperture control whatsoever. There is no F reading and the iris control on the FS100 has no effect. I searched high and low for an answer and can find nothing.

I really expected an f2.8 lens to be OK in low light, but the reality is that even in a bright room it is completely dark. I really am confused and would appreciate if you could clarify if I should be able to change the F value when using this lens.

I hope you can take the time to help me out here - I'm really frustrated!

Happy New Year and all the best for 2013,

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 17:15:48 GMT
A. Jones says:
Hi Nick

Hmm thats not right... youve got a problem with your lens.

It sounds to me like one or more contacts on the lens isnt working. The fact it doesn't work in multiple mounts confirms its with the lens not a specific camera.

Try cleaning the contact points on the lens and if not get it replaced.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 17:49:05 GMT
madeupman says:
Thanks very much for the quick response - I fear you're correct.

Ebay lesson 1 - It's not a bargain when it doesn't work... :o(

I will follow your advice and have a go at cleaning the contacts.

All the best,

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 18:07:49 GMT
madeupman says:
My friend, you are a total star!

I took a couple of swabs and some Hugo Boss aftershave (no real alcohol around and what do I have to lose) and gave the contact a clean.

Voila - I now have f control :)

Thank you so very much. I thought I would have to get a replacement. Not a good thing when I'm already totally broke making my first film!

All the very best,

Nick

PS. Lens smells really nice - perhaps I should have used Chanel for a more sophisticated effect?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 22:28:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2013 22:28:50 GMT
A. Jones says:
hey there not a problem at all glad to have helped! :)
Just remember to keep that lens well away from anything too open (less than f6/8 i guess) as the blurring is quite shocking. Look closely at photos taken with it wide open and you will see huge quality loss.

Let me know how the film goes by the way! You can contact me via www.adan-ortega.net

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2013 21:19:18 GMT
Thanks :)

Excuse the delay, I only just saw this mail. Thanks for the tip, I will keep it in mind; I am filming at night... extra lighting required methinks.

I will indeed let you know how things go. Part of the reason I didn't see your response is that I'm working like a maniac until the early hours!

All the best,

‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (32 customer reviews)

£209.78 £156.99