3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic kitchen gadget - but only lasted a year before failing, 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Salter Disc Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale - Black (Kitchen & Home)
For many years we've used a lovely pair of traditional "Queen" scales, with weights, in our cottage kitchen. I favoured this type as they can't go out of adjustment, as spring scales can, and of course they look good. However, recently, we've been dieting and needing to weight small quantities like 1oz of cheese, or 5g of butter, and for this kind of thing our scales were not ideal- fiddling around with some of the smallest weights, having to wash up the scale pan after weighing something small, etc..

These digital scales are ideal. Just put the plate or dish on the scales, press the left button to zero, then add the item directly to the dish until the desired weight shows. Switching between metric and imperial is just a few presses of the other button, so it's all incredibly easy and fast with nothing to wash up at the end.

So why didn't I give five stars?

1. For what looks and operates like a high-tech gadget, it feels rather cheaply made with rattly buttons and what feels like low quality plastic everywhere except the round platform area. They are inexpensive, it's true, but that's no excuse - if they were made in Japan they'd feel as good as they look and still not be expensive.

2. The right hand button, which switched between units, would be more convenient if it only switched between grams and pounds/ounces. Instead it goes through four options - two of which are completely pointless. These other two are millilitres and fluid-ounces. However, these are actually measures of volume, not weight, so don't really belong on scales. They're pointless because they assume (it explains in the instructions) that the density of the liquid being measured is the same as water. So - surprise, surprise - a fluid ounce of water is actually the volume of water that weights 1 oz, and a millilitre of water is the volume that weighs 1 g. In other words, these two capacity settings just read the same as the weight settings and are therefore totally superfluous (the only difference is that "fluid ounces" shows only ounces, whereas the weight setting shows pounds and ounces). As the units markings on the display are extremely small (illegible to anyone over 45 not wearing reading glasses), I'd really much rather the scales had only two settings - metric and imperial, and a press of the right button would simple switch between them, so you'd always know were you were.

By the way, the weight reading on the LCD is quite large and easy to read.

They're best suited to smaller weighing tasks as the flat and fairly small platform means that if you put a large plate on it, you'll have trouble seeing the display. For us this is fine - if I want a pound of flour to make bread, I'll use the old-fashioned scales, but when I want to weigh one slice of bread, I'll use the digital scale.

For £15 I don't hesitate - no kitchen should be without this type of scale.

*** Update one year later...

Well, as I said in my review, functionally these scales are great and a revelation if you're used to traditional kitchen scales. I used them most days and even took them away on our holidays. However, almost exactly one year on they failed, with the same symptom that I've seen described by others: when you first switch them on, or reset them, the display shows a zero weight initially but then starts counting upwards, never settling and never able to be set back to zero for more than a few seconds.

I suppose I should invoke the 15 year warranty that I believe they came with but I can't really be bothered. I've bought some new ones - this time the Duronic ones that are highly rated here; they're functionally almost identical but look and feel nicer in use. I wonder if they'll last more than a year - I expect so!

I've downgraded my rating to 3-stars because when they were working they were very good.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jan 2014 12:50:51 GMT
Li Xiu Ying says:
If you check the box the item came in, it will state 15 year guarantee.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2014 13:26:33 GMT
AC says:
Yes - I know, but for something so inexpensive really couldn't be bothered to find the receipt and claim.

Posted on 12 Feb 2014 09:56:15 GMT
Thank you so much for a great in-depth review of the scales - was going to purchase but not now.

Posted on 22 Mar 2014 20:51:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Mar 2014 20:57:38 GMT
CJ Hunt says:
Mine too have just packed up on almost exactly 1 year. Despite resetting the unit, the on/off button has completely packed up thus making the scales useless.

The 15 year guarantee looks impressive but here are the reclamation methods I just received by email from Salter:

1) Should the issue remain it may be that the scales are faulty. Within the first year from the purchase date, consumers should return to the retailer where the item was purchased. Should it be past one year and you wish to make a warranty claim with Salter can you please reply to this email attaching a copy of your proof or purchase (POP). A valid POP is required for any warranty claim.

2) Should you be in a situation where you are unable to obtain a POP please let us know and we will give alternative instructions to follow for a warranty claim. Please note that this would involve the return of the faulty product at your own cost to act as POP.

So if like me you don't have the receipt, you're looking at maybe £5 to post the faulty item back at your own cost. Given that's not far off half the cost of the scales, it does make me wonder whether to bother or move to another possibly more reliable brand. Yes I should have kept the receipt but maybe was thrown by the guarantee thinking I wouldn't need it!

[edit] I should probably add that this fault started life as the one described in this feedback. The scales just kept counting upwards and never stopped, thus making measurements nigh on impossible to get right.

Posted on 3 Jul 2014 11:35:58 BDT
tlise says:
Thank you for your review...I have another set of Salter scales, again with a guarantee, but its started doing exactly what yours and other peoples were doing. Other than the fact they cost me £20 from Sainsburys I have no receipt, so think will have a look at other makes. :)

Posted on 16 Jul 2014 13:12:19 BDT
Naomi says:
For all watery liquids (water, juice, milk, vinegar, etc.) 1 g = 1 ml is close enough.

For oils, the density is low enough (and the calories high enough) that you should factor it in if you're using a lot. In general, 1 ml of oil weighs about 0.9 g. So, 5 mL (1 teaspoon) is only 4.5 g. Not a big deal. But if you wanted to use 1 cup in baking, that's 250 mL but only 225 g. If you weighed out 250 g, you'd be getting 225 more calories than you expected.

Posted on 5 Mar 2015 11:09:48 GMT
The Archer says:
Mine have failed too. Not sure the exact date we bought them but not much over a year. Going through the hassle of the claim and expense of posting make the guarantee is not worth it for me.

Posted on 18 Jun 2015 22:34:19 BDT
Rosanne says:
The "failure" that you describe sounds exactly like when the battery dies. The exact same thing happened to me. It indicated to me that the battery was on its way out, so I replaced and it worked perfectly again.

It's a shame if people are throwing these scales away, instead of just replacing the battery!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2015 09:06:59 BDT
AC says:
Well it's interesting that this symptom can be caused by a low battery but I did of course try a new battery before concluding the the scales were faulty.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›