1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, Dull and Dull., 4 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
This is my set text for A-level so I feel I know it fairly well. It's such a boring book in it's essence. Austen crafts a story that could have been done in 20 chapters over 62, it seems as if she writes one clever funny and exciting chapter then decides to write three or four chapters where the chracters dance a little and play cards. If you want a book about people dancing and playing cards with a plot that could have been thought up easily try this if not and you want a real classic I suggest you try the bronte sisters perhaps hardy they are like a fine bottle of wine whilst this is more like that present you get on christmas you've been waiting for for months then are so let down by it has not aged well as it's weak social commentary shows.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Dec 2009 09:38:49 GMT
wordwildwebb says:
If you don't know the difference between "its" and "it's" perhaps you shouldn't really be studying Jane Austen.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2010 15:40:15 GMT
Person says:
That's a stupid comment, www. I've seen a lot of comments in the Amazon review section where reviewers get shot down for typos, spelling mistakes and/or grammatical errors, and it's usually when other people don't like their opinion. Whilst such errors aren't a good thing, it doesn't mean someone should be shot down for giving an item a 1 star review for reasons which sound, to me, fair enough. Believe it or not, some folk genuinely don't like works that are considered classics, and that's not a crime. The reviewer is doing an A-level in (presumably) english literature, which is clearly the right way to improve their english. I hope you find a course to improve your snooty attitude.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2010 15:08:49 GMT
wordwildwebb says:
You're right, I don't agree with their opinion. But at least my response isn't quite so crass as yours ("That's a stupid comment"). Now, you must excuse me - I'm off to improve my snooty manners.

Posted on 13 Jun 2010 08:41:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jun 2010 08:42:06 BDT
I wonder if you'll pass your A Level? With such a 'depth' of analysis as you've shown here, I seriously doubt it. I've seldom read such an ill-informed and immature review of a literary work.

Posted on 27 Oct 2010 14:10:43 BDT
Mmm. Perhaps writing is not your thing.

Posted on 14 Feb 2011 23:09:04 GMT
JuliaJ786 says:
Without trying to offend you, this sounds like an A Level english "commentary". I would know because I studied A level english lit/lang and what I found is that giving a synopsis of a text then reviewing is the best way of remembering a text, not necessarily understanding and appreciating it. I had to parenthesized commentary because I usually include literary/linguistic devices and not how I thought that a couple of chapters were completely useless.

Posted on 22 Mar 2011 00:52:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Sep 2012 11:42:20 BDT
Maybe you didn't like it because it was forced upon you at A-level and you had no choice in reading it? Or maybe you were just trolling when you wrote it.

Those are the two likeliest reasons because this book is one of the best ever.

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 11:33:18 BDT
Well done, P&P is such a sacred cow that some people get very uptight if anyone should dare to disagree with their opinion.
I still stand by my comment that this P&P is just period mills & boon.
I have the right to dislike it, and D. Brodala has the right to dislike it. Just as other people have the right to like it.
Freedom of thought for all.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2012 10:45:50 BDT
Def Jef says:
wordwildwebb. This is known as an ad hominem argument: to attack the argument for spurious reasons, e.g. for misspelling or poor grammar, rather than to attack argument itself. We should not denigrate a point of view on the basis of such irrelevant detail. We could miss listening to a piece of genius invention if we were to do so as poor education or even dyslexia are no barrier to analytical thought.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›