5.0 out of 5 stars First rate and very good value, 28 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Oxford Take Off in German (Paperback with CDs) (CD-ROM)
This is an excellent product that builds language skills and confidence quickly. I used Linguaphone to teach myself German in the 1980s and found that a positive experience. Now my youngest needs to learn German at school and we felt that he needed some help - and so we chose this. In my view, this is better than Linguaphone at much less cost. Better because the experience of using the material in one's own language makes it much more accessible. In addition the structure of the process emphasises speaking and repetition with helpful exercises, much as Linguaphone does.

It does not go as far as the Linguaphone course - about half way through the latter - but that is far enough to become reasonably fluent in everyday life. Back in the 1980s, I found that by the time I had reached that point I was ready to visit the country and speak the language with some confidence, to go to classes both in the UK and in Germany (ending up in higher sets well beyond beginner level), even pass an exam in the subject. So there are plenty of options for moving on.

I like the structured approach to grammar - e.g. to learning verbs etc.

My son likes it a lot and (to tell the truth) I am finding it excellent at reviving my own skills, which have become extremely rusty. A good buy - go for it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Feb 2010 15:35:34 GMT
D. Ballard says:
A quick update to my review above. The book does not give track numbers on the CD, which makes it a bit harder than it need be to find one's place again at the beginning of a session. Also the tracks are quite long (e.g. 3 to 4 minutes) which makes it a bit harder than it need be to review something one is finding hard. This is one area where Linguaphone are better. While i had noticed this before I forgot to mention it during the review itself. This might have reduced my score to 4* but would not have changed the overall sense of the review, which is that this is an excellent product at very reasonable price.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2012 19:12:09 GMT
Piffle says:
Yes, I think the course is excellent and I also enjoyed Take off in Russian. But, like that one, I have gone through marking the relevant track numbers in the book, which is a minor chore. There is also the same tune played between each lesson which I had almost forgotten but is now driving me crazy again.

Posted on 4 Jun 2013 11:54:25 BDT
shardman says:
I think it's worth noting here that you can download all the CD's as MP3's from their website and all of the MP3 files are labelled with activity numbers. If you're having trouble finding your place on the CDs this might be a good option, I have all the files on my laptop and have no problems.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2013 12:40:02 BDT
D. Ballard says:
That approach makes sense (i.e. shardman'ssuggestion)but the track length is still the concern. 4 minutes is a long period and I'd find more track numbers more helpful. But that might just be me - and the product is worth while overall for sure.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (39 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £7.99