1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses (Paperback)
Both this and "The B12 Deficiency Survival Handbook" provide excellent information about B12 deficiencies.
Both give advice on the best one of the several forms. For me, the problem is that most, if not all, the symptoms could be those of other deficiencies, although this book does have several pages covering other diseases with similar symptoms. While it's valuable knowing that B12 can cause so many problems, it would be invaluable to know a few, or even one, very common symptom that is only caused by B12. (I guess there isn't one? Well yes, permanent nerve and/or brain damage, but that's too late!)
We can be B12 deficient even if tests are within the normal range - that we should go by symptoms, not tests. This is one of the few books on either folate (folate is the natural form of B9, avoid the synthetic folic acid which can causes cancer) or B12 that warns treatment with folate can mask B12 deficiencies (best to supplement both, as well as - although this book doesn't mention it - with a good B-complex tablet such as natural brewer's yeast?).
It's also useful to know B12 is not toxic even in large dosages (unfortunately this book does not advise how much to take but 1,000mcg was mentioned in the other book and 5,000 mcg/5g is now available), so trying it for a month is probably the best way to identify whether it can be helpful.
This book covers all types of B12 supplements - tablets/capsules (avoid), injections, patches, sprays. I've tried sublingual B12 (5,000mcg) without seeming benefit, but that was before I was (after 20 years of being told my tests were "normal"!) properly diagnosed with advanced low thyroid and also adrenal deficiencies and started recovering. (Thyroid and adrenal problems are the most common health issues but doctors are not trained to know this - see stopthethyroidmadness website.)
My only concerns are that neither book warns that men with pernicious anemia have a gluten problem, which is usually what causes the pernicious anemia and neither explains that methylfolate/B9 must be supplemented at the same time as B12 as the two are partners in the body (avoid folic acid which is synthetic and can cause cancer).
However, also see my review on "Supplements Exposed" by Clement about the dangers of most vitamins, which are synthetic. Also However, see my review on "Supplements Exposed" by Clement about the dangers of most vitamins, which are synthetic. "The Calcium Lie II" an intriguing book plausibly claiming to explain the root cause of most illnesses, also warns against synthetic supplements. I have identified that natural vitamins are available from US companies Premier Research and Innate Response and Standard Process.My research failed to find any natural vitamins made by a UK company. Anyone who knows of such companies please add a comment.
Tracked by 1 customer
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Apr 2014 15:12:48 BDT
violet dolly says:
Higher Nature is a great company that does a 'True Food' range.
Hope that helps :-)
In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2014 09:44:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Apr 2014 09:46:09 BDT
I've been fooled like that before and am highly doubtful about their so-called "true food" range.
First, they don't say which foods their vitamins are sourced from. Second, they (for example, in their B6 tablet information) refer to "magnesium (bio-transformed™ and Lithothamnion calcarea), 15mg Calcium (Lithothamnion calcarea), plus other phyto-nutrients, including Beta Glucans, naturally found in the rich food base of a Saccharomyces cerevisiae culture".
Do you see any mention there of any food that you would recognise? I don't...
A vitamin marketed as natural only has to contain 10 per cent of genuinely natural, plant-derived ingredients - the other 90 per cent can be synthetic. A fractionalised, isolated part of a vitamin cannot really be called a vitamin, but that's what they're doing. Synthetic vitamins are almost never marketed as "naturally occurring" which is illegal. Instead they state "food source" or "whole food" vitamin potencies. I do not see any reference to "naturally occurring" in the Higher Nature products labelled as "True Food" which has no legal definition. It's just a label.
By contrast, the Standard Process A-F Betafood tablet (for example) states the ingredients are from a Proprietary Blend: 546 mg Carrot (root), beet (root), oat flour, dried beet (leaf) juice, defatted wheat (germ), calcium lactate, magnesium citrate, bovine liver, nutritional yeast, bovine kidney, bovine prostate, alfalfa flour, bovine orchic extract, bovine liver fat extract, flaxseed oil extract, mixed tocopherols (soy), and soybean lecithin.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›