5.0 out of 5 stars What do you want it for?, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Apple iPad (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black) 3RD GENERATION (Personal Computers)
I bought the iPad 3 at release, which at the time of writing was about six months ago. This review is not so much about the technical abilities of the iPad (which are well covered elsewhere), but more about the difficult-to-define allure of the product.

People I know who also own an iPad, or who are considering buying one, often seem to spend some time coming up with justifications for the purchase: it'll help with their work, it will be great to watch movies on the train, it will keep the kids amused. After all, no-one *needs* an iPad; we can all get along quite adequately without one and at the back of our minds we are well aware of this. The iPad is expensive and for most of us it's a lot of money to fork out on what is essentially a luxury item. Deciding what you want to get out of the iPad, and whether there's a cheaper alternative available might be questions worth considering before committing.

Having thought through the sensible stuff though, I, like many others was seduced, and parted quite happily with £500 odd in the expectation of...what exactly? You often see the words "Apple" and "magic" in the same sentence, and this ability to produce products which go beyond one's expectations are at the core of the company's success. Having bought an iMac a year or so ago, I was confident that I would again have my investment in an Apple device repaid several times over in the sheer enjoyment which goes with an amazement at the uncanny perfection of the product's capabilities.

So, there I was in the Apple store, seated at a table, an attendant at the quasi-mystical ceremony at which my own iPad was removed from its packaging and prepared for set up. As this was the first day on sale, various people gathered to watch in awe. I was required to do the unboxing and unveiling, instructed in every move by the assistant. After removing the protective sleeve it was time to flick the button and bring life to the screen. A hush descended. As smooth as silk, the interface appeared in all its cool beauty. This truly was a work of art.

Six months on and it's almost always in constant use, whether by me or another member of the family. Interestingly, different aspects seem to appeal to different people.

For me it's the mail which is probably the singularly most useful feature. I have my work email as well as private email accounts all in the mail application. The messages are clearly laid out, and writing and responding I find is easy enough on the keyboard, though I know a lot of people don't find it so; it takes a while to adapt your hand shape to the keyboard, but the predictive text ensures that even if you hit the wrong key the word will probably still appear as you intended. Somehow Apple have made even such a mundane program as mail glamorous, and Excel, Word and pdf documents look spectacularly clear and professional on the retina display.

Kids love the apps, particularly the gaming ones of course, and there's always a new one coming along in this seemingly inexhaustible supply of the new and extraordinary.

Photos look a million dollars on the new screen and iPhoto ensures that albums can be easily organised. The iPad cleverly syncs with your PC so not just photos, but music moves seamlessly between the two.

iTunes, YouTube and the BBC app mean you could be entertained for hours, if you should so choose. Whatever you watch you'll be treated to pin-sharp definition. The sound is fine on the basic headphones.

All these things, in my opinion, make this a luxury worth having. However, the iPad is somehow more than the sum of its parts, and the robustness of its manufacture (I can attest to this as it's been dropped from a height on more than one occasion) together with the absolute lack of any indication whatsoever that there are actually processors whirring and chips buzzing below that crystalline surface, instil a confidence that this is somehow more than just a mass-market device. I defy you not to be beguiled...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Sep 2012 18:58:13 BDT
bethan says:
im stuck between getting the 16gb or 32gb, and will probably be using it for games, social networking, facetime and maybe tv catch up? has your 16gb been enough storage for you??

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2012 20:43:38 BDT
Hi Bethan

Yes, it's been big enough for our needs. When I say that, I mean hundreds of photos, about 20 games, around 30 apps and maybe a dozen CDs and it hasn't run out of space yet. I'm not sure what the price difference is now, but it was significant when I bought mine, and frankly I'm glad I didn't go for the bigger version. You can always delete old stuff if you need more room.

Hope this is of some help -

JB

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2012 20:52:23 BDT
bethan says:
ah thank you, thats exactly what i'm going to use it for so i will go for 16gb. Now to decide whether to get the ipad 2 or 3!!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2012 20:58:48 BDT
JB says:
Well with that I can definitely help you: you *must* get the iPad 3! I compared mine with my friend's and the difference in the display quality is enormous; if you are looking for in-depth detail in photos/YouTube/iPlayer then get the latest iPad.

Posted on 29 Oct 2012 10:21:53 GMT
J. Edwards says:
What a great review, it's nice to see a positive review that actually extols the virtues of just having an iPad as a luxury item.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2012 14:48:36 GMT
Thanks!

It seems to me that there's a gulf of difference between the iPad and other tablets, and it's tied in with the aesthetics. This is what I was trying to get at in the review.

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 21:39:48 GMT
A very good review - thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2012 13:47:16 GMT
JB says:
Thanks, that's nice of you to say so. Bit of a strange review, but I enjoyed writing it.

Posted on 22 Jan 2013 16:35:07 GMT
Dawn Davies says:
I couldn't agree more with this review. The IPad is magic and I couldn't live without mine!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2013 19:30:43 GMT
Sold! I've been convincing and justifying myself about purchasing this for nearly a year, you've convinced me, thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (298 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £170.00