3.0 out of 5 stars No real improvement over older versions, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I've used Photoshop and Elements for years for improving and enhancing photographs that are published on line and in magazines. I cannot justify the cost of the full Photoshop software, so have used Elements as it does most of what is necessary for bitmap files and some freeware to deal with the vector graphics stuff that Elements doesn't support. For the past few years I've used Elements 8 and been very happy with it.

I bought Elements 11 after all the nagging screens that pop up when starting the older program; I bought it on a day when Amazon had a good priced special deal and I had a spare gift voucher, so it didn't actually cost me much and no real money changed hands.

Just as well! If I'd paid the full price, I'd be seriously disappointed. I cannot see what advantages it offers over Elements 8. The same functionality is still there, but they have messed about with the menus and tools so some functions you need to go hunting for. It has the look of the newer versions of Office about it and I cannot see why they have changed something that worked perfectly fine other than changes for the sake of it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or conversely, keep meddling till it is!

Conclusion - if you have never used Photoshop or Elements, you'll be amazed at what you can do and how easy it is to use once you get the hang of it.. If you've used earlier versions, certainly from about 8 onwards, you'll wonder why they have bothered with the new version. Adobe products have a (deserved) reputation for being expensive, but also for being quality. I did not think that they were into the game of change for the sake of it and just moving a few boxes around to call it an upgrade.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Mar 2013 08:47:54 GMT
Arbus says:
Re: Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 : a friend has recommended this software to me for a partIcular project ; (I have an iBook, Mountain Lion). I do not have a Photoshop program already, thus no license. If I purchased the Elements package, would it actually work on my Mac?
P.s. I have limited computer skills, so any replies, please be kind and use simple computer-speak where possible - Thanks.
Lulu

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2013 13:58:00 GMT
T. Carre says:
As long as you buy the version which states it can be used with a Mac, then there should be no problem. I run Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 on my IMac. Any problems, you can always return it to Amazon, as they have a great returns policy. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2013 00:31:47 GMT
Arbus says:
Thanks T.Carre - I shall go ahead and try it out.
L.

Posted on 27 Mar 2013 21:34:19 GMT
Alan N says:
Straight and to the point, good informative review. I now have no reason to upgrade from my current Elements 9

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2013 23:50:48 GMT
I. Wallace says:
no reason why it shouldn't you buy the licence with the software. excellent package, but if you have limited comp skills be prepared to spend many hours in the lightroom, just to master it. Or mistress it. Regards, Ian

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 09:14:16 GMT
Dear Ian,
Thanks for the input - have yet to pluck up courage - so Easter perfect time to have a go, as it were. If it's fairly straightforward (i.e. logical), then hopefully it'll be O.K. - it's just that programs are often written for those with given skills. Nothing ventured and all that........
We shall see.........
Audrey

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 10:38:47 GMT
I. Wallace says:
Hiyjust a thought, there's a few free software programmes you can download before you spend your hard earned cash. one is Picasa by Google and another I think is called Gimp. Although not as powerful as Elements, you couuld try these out to see if it's for you. Regards, Ian

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2013 00:23:15 GMT
Arbus says:
That's really helpful of you. My husband has already bought the 'Elements' software, but I think I'll research the two you mentioned as I could 'cut my teeth' on them perhaps, before taking the plunge with the Grown-ups version!
Thanks again .......

Audrey

Posted on 4 Apr 2013 08:04:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Apr 2013 08:05:24 BDT
I use PSE 7 and have done for years.

I bought PSE 10 when Amazon had it on offer and found it had no functional improvements that I needed, and I passed it on to a friend.

Now I know I won't be buying version 11...

Thanks for the tip. You've just saved me some dosh! :)

Posted on 4 May 2013 16:48:14 BDT
Pedro says:
I have just downloaded your new Trial version of Photoshop Elements 11
I cannot tell you how disappointed I was, It looks and feels like a cheap alternative to Photoshop Elements more of a look and feel of something from 10 years ago very poor, I did not like it at all! uninstalled after about half hour, I will stick to my Elements 9 if this is the way forward for Photoshop Elements then I will be going back to Corel Paintshop photo pro.
Really cannot understand why they have gone away from the look
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (744 customer reviews)

79.10 72.99