1.0 out of 5 stars What a load of rubbish, 13 Jan. 2011
This review is from: X-Rite ColorMunki Photo (Camera)
As proffessional printer using printer like Epson 4880, Epson 7900, Epson 7700, Epson 7890, Epson 9880 etc. We'd like to think we know what we're talking about in the world of photo imagery. Getting accurate colours is always a challenge as many of you will know it's not just down to the printers settings, but also down to the printer itself, the number of colours in the printer, the type of media used, the photoshop settings used etc. We prefer to print from photoshop rather than a rip so proffiling is important to us.

After our i1 profiler packed in we thought we'd try something different as we always thought the i1 had room for improvment. I had been told by several photographers that these things are amazing, welll let me tell you they are NOT.

First of all lets talk monitors, we profiled two different types of monitor, the first being a samsung 22" 1080p LCD monitor, when the profiling was the screen was very dull and had a green overcast so we tried again but atleast it was consistent as it was the same again, it made any people in photo's look like aliens, granted it was only a slight green tint but was NOT accurate. So then we tried an LG LED monitor, we did the same but this time we had a yellow tint on the screen, what was most bizare as if you put the same images on both monitor and put them side by side with the profiles done by the Munki they looked TOTALLY different, one was dull and green and the other yellow and over exposed.

So then we tried the printers, the software installs easy and looks very slick, it printed 50ish pactahes for us to scan, the device itself doesn't have any mount or anything and is a bit like a revolving tape measure, you have to drag it along the surface of the print which seemed odd as surely you could scratch the patches? anyway we left it overnight to dry to get rid of that issue (you should always leave overnight to dry anyway when profiling as colour changes over a few hours). Once scanned we printed a test image with the profile and Oh My God... Put it this way I didn't even bother trying again, I just put it straight in the box and sent it back to warehouse express for a refund (thankfully they refunded without issue). The print was awful, dull, not accurate, reds looked pink, it made peoples skin tones look like they had the plague or something....

So since then we've tried several other devices but am over the moon with the Spyer3, we bought the studio version which has all the monitor, printer, scanner profiling tools all for under £350, about the same price as this, also has some cube thing for photographers but I only do photography as a hobby (have a little Pentax K-X) so haven't got to serious with profiling my camera (didn't even know you could to be honest). My side of things is in printing, I am very particular about colours and want to finished results to be bang on every time. Thanksfully the spyder has helped me do that, the results are actually better than i1 which is a dream. Feel free to contact me at Zootaga if you want more info.

My advice is if you really want to try this atleast buy it from somewhere like amazon that will allow you return it when you realise how crap it is. If the results were close then I wouldn't have even bothered writing this but it was so bad I felt I should warn others. Maybe it does work for some and I'd love to know what printers etc your profiling as for me it's the worst pprinting accessory every made. Period!

Thanks for reading

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Aug 2011 14:01:36 BDT
porgy best says:
Is it possible you had a faulty unit? Or that there was double-profiling going on somewhere in your system? Not to take anything away from your experience, but it simply doesn't accord with the experiences of many others who have used the device (not me; I have the Spyder3Studio and an i1 Display2).

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2011 15:08:27 BDT
definately not, I am very experienced in colour profiling, I now own an eye1 isis XL which is superb. The munki is inconsistent and simply doesn't work. Others may be happy and that's great but we are professional printers and demand the best and this quite simply isn't it.... not even close

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Oct 2011 13:07:56 BDT
Mike Irish says:
Hi all. I purchased a Colormonki ( Create ) on the 14/01/'10 from Wearhouse express.I have no issues with Wearhouse express I havened even contacted them about the problem.I am having problems with over saturation for the last four to five months.I just reverted to an loder profile that I new was ok.I contacted X-rite about this problem and they asked me to download a later soft wear update which I did.Now I downloaded this update when I first had problems but it just didn't work.Now the newer download didn't work either so I called x-rite again.I was told that THEY DON'T SUPPORT THIS UNIT ANYMORE.They said that it is probably that windows has released updates that don't support my unit.What a load of crap.I was going to purchase the Colormomki photo but now I will look elsewhere.
Cheers.
Mike Irish

Posted on 15 Jul 2012 01:06:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jul 2012 01:12:50 BDT
PDM says:
Firstly: I would expect someone who claims to be a professional to be able to spell the word. And a professional printer who doesn't use a RIP? OK kidding aside:

Find it strange you have had a problem with the Munki. Perhaps yours was faulty. Mine works surprisingly fine. Very accurate profiles for both printers and monitor. That is the expensive Eizo monitor I use for photography. It certainly won't profile my cheapy ones I use for day to day on other computers; but that's the fault of the monitors not being capable of producing the colours and not the Munki. I also use other printers from time to time and notice that I get consistent results (when they are calibrated properly) with my own.

As an ex professional printer who has been trained in colour matching, I find the results from the Munki are more than adequate.

There are more expensive units out there (up to £15k or more) that can make more accurate profiles, but the Munki is so fast and easy to use and sufficiently accurate I can not see the point in using anything else. One point though: if you have an Eizo monitor that has the built-in calibration then that gives a slightly more accurate profile with the Munki than the Munki's own software.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›